2011 Holiday Bucket List in the City

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFCA chapter.

Classes ended today officially! Congratulations collegiettes! As the uplifting feeling of winter break seeps in, we have a holiday bucket list in the city for you to blow off some steam and enjoy the Holiday spirit!

Ice Skating in Union Squre

San Francisco is home to some of the greatest Christmas events that you must put on your to-do list this holiday season. Ice Skating in Union Square is one of the most popular activities and for good reason. It is a classic winter activity that is fun to do with friends and family in an exciting, beautiful atmosphere with the giant light tree hovering over the rink. The Ice Rink is now open until January 16th from 10:30a.m. -11:30p.m. for only $10

Sugar Castle…Can we eat it?
After you hang up your skates be sure check out the phenomenal Sugar Castle Display. Stop by the main lobby of Westin on Powell Street to see the replica, but completely edible, French Chateau from Bordeaux. It’s 1,200 pounds, 30 rooms, with 20 grand towers, villages and trains to make up this masterpiece. It is a sensational spectacle you will definitely want to see.

Annual Tree Lighting
On December 8 the annual tree lighting at McLaren Lodge in Golden Gate Park will begin at 5p.m. The tree will be lit up and radiate over all the fun activities that will be held in the park until 7:30 that evening. There will be rides, music, arts and crafts, a cookie factory and even an appearance from Santa. This holiday party will help spark the excitement of Christmas season and be a great break from all those long hours of studying for finals.

The Nutcracker Ballet

One of the greatest holiday activities around in San Francisco is the annual performance of The Nutcracker Ballet held at the War Memorial Opera House. This tasteful production is notorious for its graceful dance movement and elegant music. A winter wonderland is created right on stage for the audience to indulge in as they watch this exquisite, must-see performance. The Nutcracker is a timeless ballet that you have to see this year! The first ballet production of The Nutcracker begins on December 9 at 7:00p.m. The performance will continue through December 27. Don’t waste any time and snag those tickets today through the website.

Coming across Her Campus as a senior in high school and then leading her very own branch, Emily proudly calls herself the co-president and editor-in-chief of Her Campus University of San Francisco. While Emily has a guilty addiction to shopping, celebrities, and all things "girly" she hopes that she can integrate this into a relatable magazine to the women of her campus. Emily has a slight infatuation for John Krasinski and Joseph Gordon-Levitt. When she's not day dreaming about her future husbands, Emily is participating in many extra curricular activities such as her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta. Emily enjoys good company, good FOOD, and a good ole' television. One of the most recent television series Emily has become a fan of is ABC's Pan Am. If only Pan Am continued to exist, Emily would have seriously considered becoming a stewardess. The success of the branch has yet to blossom. Emily hopes that she can bring Her Campus University of San Francisco to its full potential. In the future, Emily plans studying abroad all over the European continent and pursue her passion of social justice through fashion.