Why You Should Care About Your University’s Student Government

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

The average college student is constantly stressed out. Whether it be because you’re failing Chem 1, or you’re about to run out of dining dollars, or maybe you snapped something really embarrassing after one too many drinks to that hot guy in your favorite fraternity. The point is, in the everyday life of a busy student, who is going to take the time to care about Student Government? Probably not you, or your friends. Who cares about Student Government? We all know that the people elected are just trying to win a popularity contest. Student Government really doesn’t do anything that directly affects me. Student Government is nothing exciting or dramatic like Scandal. Ahhh yes, Student Government has nothing on President Fitz and Olivia. These are all huge misconceptions (except for the Olivia and Fitz part, there’s really no forbidden romance in SG). The student body needs to pay more attention to whose names they are checking off when it comes election time. Sure, you want the free pizza so you just check off the first 10 names on the screen. Not good. The people who win the different offices for the year such as the student body president and vice president, and the senators (like myself) are in charge of more than you would think, for a whole year. No take backsies once we are elected.

Now, there are some elected officials that are kind of low maintenance, and are just kind of along for the ride. Then, there are the loud student politicians. The ones who want to make a difference and leave their make before the term is up. These ones are important. These students are spread out into the three branches: Executive, Legislative, and Judicial. The Executive Branch includes the President and Vice President, so probably the main students you think of when it comes to Student Government. This current President and Vice President got USF reading days starting next semester, which means extra days before exams with no classes, so you get more time to study. See, they do things. The Legislative Branch, which is what I am in, holds weekly Senate meetings to pass or fail bills that can directly effect each and every student. This includes Fiscal bills. Fiscal means money. So, for instance, you’re in a student organization on campus. Any organization. This organization needs money for the years events. Guess who they ask for money. Us. See, we do things. Like allocate thousands of dollars to your student run organizations. Lastly, the Judicial Branch. They’re the ones with the nice robes and fancy names like Senior Justice and Associate Justice. Ever get a parking ticket on campus? Let’s be honest, it’s USF, so the odds are high. So, you get a parking ticket, but you don’t think you were given it fairly. Go to the Judicial Branch and appeal your ticket. If you win, you get your money back and hey, that’s $30 you can now spend at World of Beer. See, they do things. Moral of the story: every little thing that Student Government does effects each and every student, whether you know it or not, so be informed and stay curious. 

Sydjea Watson is from the beautiful island of Jamaica. She graduated from the University of South Florida with a bachelor's degree in mass communications. Sydjea has a passion and great appreciation for the arts. She currently works as a freelance photographer while pursuing a photography certification at Rhode Island School of Design.