This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

What is everyone’s obsession with Vine? Somehow, 6 seconds always seems to stretch to 60 minutes, but why is that? What makes Vine so addicting? Maybe it’s because the app allows us to explore the talented minds of others. Maybe it’s because it allows us to explore the creative wonder dwelling within ourselves. Come on! While that’s all nice and proper, part of the reason why we collegiettes are obsessed with Vine is because it gives us an excuse to sit back and watch hot guys take off their shirts to (ahem!) #grindonme. 

Ladies, you know that’s true to some extent. Though that may not be our primary purpose for venturing Vine, it definitely makes up for all of the inevitable quirks.

We disregard those Viners we just cannot stand, and we scroll through those annoying comments all because we love the app. Some commenters aspire to aggravate. Since their not talented enough to create a captivating video themselves, I think they’ve made it they’re life goal to #grindmygears.

(If you noticed I switched up “their” and “they’re” in that last sentence, congratulations! You’re smarter than half the commenters on Vine! I thought people had to be at least 17-years-old to register, but these commenters spell like they haven’t passed 4th-grade English! Whatever. Not my problem- or at least it doesn’t have to be if I scroll quickly enough.)

More, there are all those stupid ads people comment: “Tap here to earn $$$,” “Click on my profile for laughs”- how about no?! Worse yet, how about those commenters who’re too erratic with their emojis? <333333333333333 Yes, crazy commenter, we get it. You think Kc James is hot. So do we. But #sometimeswejustdon’tcare.

Vine tells us what everything #belike and keeps us up-to-date with all of the latest trends. It has brought us smack cam, scare cam, sneaky cam, and even PB&J cam. Out of all of the cams, T-Rex Slap has to be my favorite. 

Vine updates us with the musical trends- or rather, we update Vine with our short-lived musical preferences. Arguably, this started with Terio’s #oohkillem. 

After that, no one dared to drop that thun thun thun. 

During the summer, we were into “Versace,” “Gas Pedal,” and “Earthquake” #datbassdropdoe 

And by the time the semester started, everyone felt like a boss a$$ b**ch. 

After the VMA’s, Miley Cyrus was in everyone’s feed with “Wrecking Ball.” 

And thank goodness Katy Perry’s “Roar” was there to add some neutrality during that controversial time in pop culture. #teammiley 

For good measure, here’s an example of how influential Vine can be. The app popularized this song:

Now that says something.

Vine is our musical playlist, our hot guy marketplace, our comedy set- all in one! It’s no surprise we gravitate towards the app. We have our musicians (Trench) and our vocalists (Shawn Mendes).

Our beatboxers (Vincent Marcus) and our special effects wizards (Zach King).

Our comedians (Kc James) and our sexy-for-no-reasons (Trevor Holmes).

Don’t yell at me in the comments- I’m well aware these categories overlap… a lot.

We even have our own pets (Buster Beans and Praying Steve, the praying mantis… thanks Curtis Lepore!) 

I can’t possibly give credit to all the people who deserve it, which has to do with why we love Vine so much. The possibilities are limitless.

By the way, how awesome would it be if our favorite Frenchman came to USF?! Maybe Jerome Jarre could talk some sense into our untamed squirrels! If he can’t, we might just notice the squirrels stealing more croissants than usual. 

Photo sources: https://www.google.com/url?sa=…

Justine is a recent graduate of the University of South Florida. She received her B.A. in mass communcations in spring 2014. She was the 2013-2014 Campus Correspondent for Her Campus USF.She was also a News & Feature Writing Intern for College of Arts and Sciences and the Public Relations Campus Rep for Rent the Runway at USF. She is currently seeking agency experience and would love to someday work for a magazine, become a novelist, poet, editor, host of a Travel Channel show and much more.  She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, art, literature, pop culture and student life. She spends most days listening to Lana del Rey, calming her nerves with various types of cheese, being sassy and trying to figure out when she can take a nap.Check out her website and portfolio here.She'd love you forever, if you followed her on Twitter @tinafigs_.Contact Justine regarding business inquires only at justinefigueroa@hercampus.com.