Why the Ugly Holiday Sweater? As Expressed Through Celebs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

The holidays are that one time of a year where we can wear an item with the term “ugly” in it and nobody can say anything about it. Ugly holiday sweaters make ugly awesome. Be inspired by some of our favorites to rock the ugly holiday sweater! 

1.      Because your body is a wonderland. Express yourself this holiday season and know that you are confident, say what you need to say, and that you can rock the holiday sweater – explore a range of polka dots, diamonds, reindeer or a dapper combination of the three. Thank you, John.

2.      Because a Christmas sweater will have that guy in your life saying, “you belong with me.” Holiday sweaters can reflect our personality; let those who mean the most to you in your life know you believe! The best part is that they will never go out of style, so no matter what phase you are going through there is a holiday sweater.  I don’t know about you, but I’m feeling that sweater, too.

3.  Because the holiday sweater just solidified that whether a Twilight fan or not . . . Team Edward.  Wear a holiday sweater and you will be the life of the party. Attending an “Ugly Holiday Sweater” party? Stand out with a sweater that reflects your personality. Robert illustrates his jolly happy soul. 

4.      As long as you love them. Have you heard Bieber’s 2011 “Under the Mistetoe” album? Whether a Belieber or not, we can appreciate his impressive holiday spirit. If you do think about ever getting caught under the mistletoe, consider that moment in a holiday sweater.

5.      The more I think about it, there is only one direction to go, and that is with a holiday sweater. Harry Styles digs girls in holiday sweaters, and wearing a holiday sweater shows that you light up the world like nobody else.  The real question here is, do we really have to wait all year to see Harry in that adorable elf sweater?

6.      Mmm bop *emphasize on the mmm”. That’s right ladies . . . our lifetime crush, Taylor Hanson, embraces the holiday sweater vest.  I completely understand if you are debating on what to do first: Find/re-download the Hanson “Snowed In” holiday album or order a holiday sweater vest.

7. The ideal fashion statement. Holiday sweater + leather pants? The possibilities are endless.  You can keep it simple as our girl LC does, and find your true color. (Seriously, how on point is that red lipstick?)

8.  I hope this article proves that holiday sweaters show the lights. Ellie Goulding certainly shines in a holiday sweater, and if you rock that edgy style, then a holiday sweater is in your future. Paired with a beanie and combat boots, I am so unbelievably sold.

You still have plenty of time to find the holiday sweater for you. Motivate your friends to have a holiday sweater party, or wear one wherever you go. The holidays are a time to be thankful – and it is safe to say that the holiday sweater is something to be thankful for. Proof that I stand by my word: My boyfriend and I found these sweaters at Walmart and can’t wait to wear them again.

Here are some places to score your own!

·         Walmart Holiday Sweaters

·         Urban Outfitters Holiday Sweaters

·         My Ugly Christmas Sweater

·         We Love Holiday Sweaters

·         Kohl’s Holiday Sweaters

Which celebrity do you think wears the holiday sweater best? Where will you buy your holiday sweater?

From Her Campus U. South Florida to Her Campus Nationals. Lover of spinning, food pics, and overall happy moments. Also a Britney Spears loyalist. You can follow Danielle's adventures on Twitter @dkushner_ and Instagram @deekush.
Justine is a recent graduate of the University of South Florida. She received her B.A. in mass communcations in spring 2014. She was the 2013-2014 Campus Correspondent for Her Campus USF.She was also a News & Feature Writing Intern for College of Arts and Sciences and the Public Relations Campus Rep for Rent the Runway at USF. She is currently seeking agency experience and would love to someday work for a magazine, become a novelist, poet, editor, host of a Travel Channel show and much more.  She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, art, literature, pop culture and student life. She spends most days listening to Lana del Rey, calming her nerves with various types of cheese, being sassy and trying to figure out when she can take a nap.Check out her website and portfolio here.She'd love you forever, if you followed her on Twitter @tinafigs_.Contact Justine regarding business inquires only at justinefigueroa@hercampus.com.