This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

In honor of Black History Month, I want to shine light on one of the many amazing African- American women. Hattie McDaniel was an actress, singer, and comedian. Most notably, she starred as “Mammy” in “Gone With the Wind” for which she won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress. This was the first Academy Award every won by an African American.

Photo Courtesy of Hollywood Reporter

Hattie McDaniel is an inspiration to women and African Americans everywhere. Born in 1893, she was the youngest of 13 children to two former slaves. She became involved in the arts at an early age, with her father being a minstrel performer. She performed in many vaudeville and minstrel shows throughout the 1920s. Hattie eventually got involved in acting, assuming roles where she had to play either a maid or a slave. Although these were not favorable roles to portray, Hattie’s characters were sassy and opinionated, showing that maids or slaves were not just people that could be bossed around. Her amazing acting eventually led her to the role of a lifetime in “Gone With the Wind.”

Photo Courtesy of Hollywood Reporter

Hattie McDaniel later became the first African American actress to star in her own radio show. The program was called “The Beulah Show,” which told the story of a maid and the family she worked for.

Photo Courtesy of Wikipedia

Sadly, shortly after being cast in “The Beulah Show,” Hattie suffered from a heart attack and was diagnosed with breast cancer. On October 26, 1952, Hattie McDaniel died from breast cancer at 59 years old. When she died, she stated in her will that her Oscar should be given to Howard University; however, the Oscar plaque has since gone missing.

Hattie McDaniel is a very inspirational women who made a name for herself despite the discrimination that was prevalent in the United States during this time. It is very important to never forget the men and women who paved the way for black people all over the world.

Tori Duncan is currently a sophomore at the University of South Florida, majoring in Economics. In her spare time she likes to look at Harry Styles and watch reality TV.
Hey! My name is Leticia and I am the Campus Correspondents here at USF. I am graduating in MAY (omg) with a degree in Advertising and PR. I am originally from Brazil, needless to say, I LOVE the beach and being outside! I enjoy everything from make-up to fitness and sports. In my free time you can find me thrifting, playing photographer, or at home with my hubby binging Netflix.