This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Independence Day is in a few days and there’s nothing to celebrate for me. The day we all celebrate the so-called “freedom” has never been so meaningless. A decision made a few days ago has stripped so many people of their personal rights. Where is our freedom?

Where is our freedom to decide what to do with our own bodies? Where is our freedom to prioritize our health? It all disappeared. All of those who can get pregnant are now second-class citizens again. I wonder if we will ever retrieve our rights once again or if we will ever be seen as human beings entitled to have a choice. When will this end?

I feel hopeless. I am scared. I am angry. I feel violated. 

There is a part of me that still does not understand the reality of this situation. It feels unreal that the only issue being discussed is the right to terminate a pregnancy when this is a country in which parental leave is not guaranteed, healthcare is a privilege and the rate of maternal death is one of the highest. Instead of forcing people to have children, shouldn’t we focus on fixing those issues? 

I don’t understand. We have been failed. 

On this upcoming Independence Day, I cry for all of those who have been violated by the state. I cry for those who will now be forced to carry unwanted pregnancies. I cry for all of those who face any form of injustice caused by the system imposed in this country. The so-called country of the free, the biggest democracy in the world, is only free and fair to those whose lives are unaffected by current legislation.

Until we are truly free, we should never stop fighting for our rights to be returned to us.

Isabella Da Silva Sodre is a Sophomore at the University of South Florida studying International Studies and World Languages and Cultures with double concentration in French and German. She was born and raised in Brazil and moved to the United States in 2017. Isabella is passionate about the different cultures seen in the world and how they interact with each other, as well as art, politics, film, and music. This is her first year writing for Her Campus, and she is very thrilled by the opportunity to explore her writing.