Wellness Wednesday: Staying Healthy in the Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

As of next week, summer will officially start for USF students, and all I can say is thank God! But at the same time I know summer is a time for many people to get lazy on staying healthy. With that being said, I’ve thought of a few simple ways to stay in shape while school is out for the next few months.

1. Eating at home

I’ve been guilty of this in the past, that once summer comes I start going out to eat more. The summer going into my sophomore year was the worst for me. I got fast food almost everyday and gained a few pounds in the process. Once I stopped going out to eat as much, I noticed those extra pounds shed quickly. Just because it’s summer doesn’t mean you should get lazy on your food routine. Eating at restaurants might seem like a quick fix, but it usually means extra calories that you don’t need. It’s okay to go out once in a while but don’t make it a regular thing because it can hurt you in the long run.

2. Getting a gym membership

Since I’m graduating and not taking summer classes for the first time since I came to USF, I’m not going to have that “free” gym membership that I love so much. Now that I know I won’t have a regular gym being paid for by my tuition I’m weighing my options to get a gym membership elsewhere. I know many of you are in the same boat, so I’ve looked up a few places that aren’t too expensive. “Youfit” is a great option if you have one near your house, they have a no commitment membership that only costs $10 a month. If you’re still in Tampa, you can pay the USF gym $22.50 a month, but that’s only if you’re a semester off student. These aren’t the only options but other gyms can be more expensive so do your research on how much things will cost you in the long run.

3. Controlling the amount of alcohol you drink

If you’re of age, this tip is more for you, but many people tend to increase their alcohol intake when school is out. Alcohol can make you gain weight in the places you generally don’t want extra weight. Also it can harm your organs later on in life, if you drink excessively. I’m not saying don’t drink at all but you should make sure you’re not overdoing it when you do decide to drink. Also make sure you drink a lot of water before, during, and after you drink because it will help you stay hydrated and make you feel better the next day.

4. Eating before you go to an event

If you’re going to a pool party or some kind of event try to make sure you eat something filling before you head out. A lot of these event have unhealthy food that’s usually free, which tends to make people eat more of it than they usually would. Also there are times where these events might make you pay for food so you’re saving your wallet by eating beforehand. If you think you’ll get hungry at the event, try to sneak in some of your own snacks.

5. Bringing sporty activities to the beach or pool

It’s always a good idea to bring a volleyball or a football to the beach or the pool. Most pools and beaches have some kind of volleyball net for you to play on with your friends. The beach has more space for throwing a football which can be a fun activity for you and your friends. If sports aren’t your thing you can always go for a walk at the beach or go swimming at the pool. You don’t have to just sit and sun bathe anymore, you can catch some rays and fit in some physical activity in the process.

These 5 tips are just guidelines to staying healthy, but there’s plenty more where this list came from. Leave us a comment below or tweet @HerCampusUSF to tell us how you plan to stay healthy this summer!

Photo Credit:

www.peek.com

www.thirdage.com

www.turkeysforlife.com

Justine is a recent graduate of the University of South Florida. She received her B.A. in mass communcations in spring 2014. She was the 2013-2014 Campus Correspondent for Her Campus USF.She was also a News & Feature Writing Intern for College of Arts and Sciences and the Public Relations Campus Rep for Rent the Runway at USF. She is currently seeking agency experience and would love to someday work for a magazine, become a novelist, poet, editor, host of a Travel Channel show and much more.  She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, art, literature, pop culture and student life. She spends most days listening to Lana del Rey, calming her nerves with various types of cheese, being sassy and trying to figure out when she can take a nap.Check out her website and portfolio here.She'd love you forever, if you followed her on Twitter @tinafigs_.Contact Justine regarding business inquires only at justinefigueroa@hercampus.com.