Vegan etiquette: how to handle raising children and being invited to dinner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Do you think vegetarian/vegan people should impose those beliefs on their children or let them make up their own minds?
-Question from FormSpring, ask me anything!          

My first reposnse to that is that I don’t think my opinions should affect how anyone else raises their own child and I would never, ever tell someone how to raise their children (unless they were being abusive, in which case I’d report them because child abuse is disgusting) and I don’t think anyone should.

The parents’ decision on the diet of their children is between them and their doctor.

That aside, I will talk about what I would do! If I have children (which I don’t plan on doing – I’d much rather be an aunt!) I would definitely raise them to be vegan. I’ve met people in their 30s who were raised vegan, and I’ve met young vegan children – all of whom are completely healthy and happy.

This is a picture of me as a child. I was pretending to be a bat, which was my favorite animal (I was so goth when I was young, seriously. I have poems I wrote about bats). I wish I had been raised vegan! 

Would I tell them they had to be vegan or I’d disown them? No, that’s silly. If they chose to eat non-vegan food outside the home, that’s up to them. My parents imposed their meat-eating lifestyle (I know that sounds ridiculous, but I don’t know how else to word it!) on me but they didn’t care when I went vegetarian, and then vegan. I appreciate that a lot. I would want to be a parent who guides my children, not controls them.

What’s the etiquette for eating at a friend’s/friend’s parents/family member’s/future in-laws’ house if you’re a vegetarian or vegan? Do you take one for the team or do you politely refuse? Should you tell them beforehand? What if they’re offended?

This is a question that actually comes up a lot for me! I would definitely tell them ahead of time. Usually when I eat at a friend’s house, we have cookouts – veggie burgers! Then I’ll usually bring a side dish. The key is to make friends with people who love potlucks! Just kidding, but really, even if it’s not a potluck, I’ve found that people will never turn down an extra side dish or two. After all, if you’re eating their food, why not bring a little something to contribute?

An old-fashioned etiquette class for young vegan women.

No one has ever been offended by the fact that I’m vegan. In fact, I’ve only ever gotten tons of curious questions. I mean, don’t show up without telling them and then say, “ewwww, I’m not going to eat this meal that’s your great-great-grandma’s secret recipe!”. That would be high on the list of things not to do.

So in sum:

1. Don’t be stupid.
2. Warn them ahead of time.
3. Offer to bring dishes with enough servings for everyone.
4. Be considerate.

I should write a vegan etiquette book.

Daylina Miller is a senior at the University of South Florida studying multimedia journalism and psychology and anticipates graduating spring 2012. She is a member of the national and USF chapter of The Society of Professional Journalists, Bull Bikers' Association, and the Heavy Metal Enthusiasts Club. She currently writes news features for USF's website and is an avid blogger. Her interests include traveling, writing, tarot, paranormal research and photography. She recently enjoyed a travel/study tour to London and various cities in Ireland and plans on backpacking through Europe after graduation. Being a mermaid didn't pan out and paranormal research won't pay her bills so her ultimate goal is to report for a well-respected daily newspaper or magazine as a multimedia journalist.