USF Students Weigh In: Will you be voting in the student government elections next week?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Starting Monday, Feb. 21 once again the student body at USF will be choosing their campus representatives and voting on key issues. On such a large campus, you probably wonder about voter turnout. Here are some students’ plans for election day when asked whether or not they will be voting:

“Yes, because I don’t want someone representing me that is trying to accomplish things that I don’t support.”
Jess Procko, senior, criminology

“Probably not because I don’t live on campus and don’t want to go out of my way to vote.”
Mary Weigel, sophomore, anthropology

“Nope, because it’s not important to me because I don’t see how it really affects me.”
Sidney Perles, sophomore, biomedical sciences

“I may not be voting for the upcoming Student Government elections because I feel uninformed as to the platforms of candidates, and also am usually incapable of fitting the time to vote at a voting location into my busy schedule.” –Katherine Fleck, sophomore, history and American studies

“Yes, because I want to make sure that the leaders of our student body represent the majority opinion of the students.”
William Parsons, sophomore, international studies

“Yes. I like/believe in the messages portrayed by my select candidate.”
Brendan McGreevy, junior, athletic training

“Yes! I think Johnson and Diaz have the experience to change a few things and I want to see this happen before I graduate!”
Paige LaBarr, sophomore, mechanical engineering

“I usually don’t keep track of politics. I’ll plan to [vote] but I forget about it.”
Jennifer Le,
freshman, biomedical sciences

“I didn’t know they were coming up, but if I don’t have to sign up and I was able to see all the candidates, sure I would.”
Calvin Pena, freshman, mass communications

“Yes, because it is good to be informed. I voted last year.”
Chris Stefanovic, sophomore, electrical engineering

“No, because I really don’t pay any attention [to that].”
Drew Burgett, sophomore, engineering

“Yes, because I think it is important as a student that if you want something and obviously cannot run yourself that you should vote for someone to do it for you.”
Gopal Amin, sophomore, chemistry

“No, because I have only heard of one of the candidates and I really have no intention on finding out anything about the others.”
Mike Fischer, sophomore, math

“Yes, because I think it is important responsible criteria of the campus community.”
Lauren Potts, freshman, mass communications

“Yes, I plan on voting because I care about who is representing me. Since I can’t personally go to the administrative and bring them my concerns I want to make sure I have someone to rely on to do it for me.”
Suzannah Turnage, senior, classics and English

“No, because I don’t even know when the elections are. I don’t even know who is in charge of this school.”
– Jessica Patel, sophomore, biomedical sciences

“No, because I don’t care enough.”
Eric. Chi, freshman, mechanical engineering

“I will be voting, because universities exist to serve the students. Student Government’s
purpose is to represent the wishes of the student body, and it should be the duty of the students to vote for who they believe is the most qualified presidential/senatorial candidates, and to voice their opinion on important topics. Students really have no room to complain about potential misspending of their student fees if they didn’t vote.”
Joseph Michalsky, sophomore, computer science and civil engineering

“I don’t know, if I find a candidate I like then maybe.”
Melanie Martuch, sophomore, mechanical engineering

“Sure why not? I might as well. It is a big popularity contest but whatever.”
Staci Reed, junior, biology

“Yes I do because I believe it is important to the school. They make all the decisions and changes for us.”
– Jess Liles, freshman, architecture

Daylina Miller is a senior at the University of South Florida studying multimedia journalism and psychology and anticipates graduating spring 2012. She is a member of the national and USF chapter of The Society of Professional Journalists, Bull Bikers' Association, and the Heavy Metal Enthusiasts Club. She currently writes news features for USF's website and is an avid blogger. Her interests include traveling, writing, tarot, paranormal research and photography. She recently enjoyed a travel/study tour to London and various cities in Ireland and plans on backpacking through Europe after graduation. Being a mermaid didn't pan out and paranormal research won't pay her bills so her ultimate goal is to report for a well-respected daily newspaper or magazine as a multimedia journalist.