Style > Fashion

Updating Your Spring Wardrobe The Sustainable Way

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Spring is here! And that means that summer is right around the corner. Friends, it is about time to switch out our thick winter sweaters for pretty blouses and sundresses. 

Before you update your wardrobe with new clothing, it is important that we practice sustainability as much as we can. Fast-fashion continues to be a pressing environmental and human-rights issue; and there are ways we can be more mindful as consumers. 

Here are a few ways you can practice sustainability this spring:

Buy from ethical clothing brands 

This first suggestion may require some research, as it can be difficult to tell when a brand is ethical or sustainable. The harsh reality is that most popular clothing brands are fast-fashion, but fear not! There are brands out there that prioritize sustainable practices. Everlane is just one brand that sells cute and basic pieces that are made in a sustainable way. If you plan to buy new spring pieces, ensure that you research the brand that you’re buying from! 

The down-side to buying from sustainable clothing brands is that they tend to be more expensive than fast-fashion brands; I know that price is important to consider, especially as a college student. Fear not! The other sustainable practices on this list are budget-friendly!

Buy from second hand stores

This is how I primarily keep my wardrobe sustainable! Whether it be from thrift stores, virtual second-hand platforms, or buying-and-selling stores, this can be a great way to build your wardrobe without buying from fast-fashion brands and breaking the budget. For my Tampa locals, Avalon Exchange and Uptown Cheapskate are my go-to second-hand stores! You can also consider Thred-Up and Poshmark, which are online platforms where individual sellers will put their clothes. 

Reinvent Your Current Closet

The urge to buy new clothes as the seasons change and trends pass is strong, I understand. However, I assure you that there is nothing wrong with your current closet! One of the ways to combat fast-fashion is to simply not buy new clothing. Your spring wardrobe from last year works for this year too! Often times, we can feel pressured to constantly buy new clothing to keep up with trends, but it is perfectly okay to enjoy the clothes you have now. As long as you feel comfortable in them!!!

These are just a few ways to stay sustainable during these warm months! In a capitalistic society, consuming sustainably and ethically is not always the easiest option, but please be mindful as you shop. 

Hello! My name is Rachel and my pronouns are she/her. I am an English student at the University of South Florida who loves to write and talk about fashion, art, and wellness! I am an avid Swiftie, boyband listener, foodie, and reader.