The Ultimate Guide to Packing for Spring Break on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Every college student is always looking for anything free or cheap. Spring break is no exception. It is the one event every college student is looking forward to throughout the spring semester to escape all the assignments, tests, projects and extracurriculars. Before the fun really begins, we have to face the dreaded packing. However, this is where college students can start to save some coin. Here is a composed list of economical packing tips.

Carry on

In any air travel, having a carry on rather than checking a bag can save lots of money. Consider purchasing a suitcase that may be a little smaller in size but fits in the overhead compartment. The average dimensions for a carry-on bag are 9 inches by 22 inches. While purchasing a new suitcase may seem like a bit of a splurge, you’ll still save more if you do not check your bag.

What to pack in your carry on:

Portable charger for cell phone/laptop/kindle

ID, Passport, in convenient plastic bag

Medications

Gum for ear popping

Snacks

Water bottle

Hairbrush

Toiletries

Life hack: Often times smaller travel-sized toiletries are cheaper when purchased. Consider taking a trip to a local dollar store to buy essential toiletries. In addition, if you have products you have already purchased but are too large to pass through TSA, there are plastic to-go containers available for purchase online.

What toiletries to pack:

Advil

Pepto

Feminine products

Sunscreen

Birth control

Deodorant

Hairstyling tools

Toothbrush and toothpaste

Clothing

Often times spring break outfits are rarely used again. If you’re traveling to a colder place, check out thrift stores for heavy jackets. The same works if you’re traveling to a tropical climate. Thrift stores have all types of clothing available all year round. 

Essentials to pack:

Sweater

Leggings

Favorite jeans

Tennis shoes

Sandals

Unlimited amounts of underwear

hands holding enjoy sign
geralt via Pixabay

Hi I'm Paige. Currently a third year English major at the University of South Florida. Passionate about animals, Birkenstocks and french fries.
Hey! My name is Leticia and I am the Campus Correspondents here at USF. I am graduating in MAY (omg) with a degree in Advertising and PR. I am originally from Brazil, needless to say, I LOVE the beach and being outside! I enjoy everything from make-up to fitness and sports. In my free time you can find me thrifting, playing photographer, or at home with my hubby binging Netflix.