Life > Experiences

Travel Journaling: What Is It, and How Do You Start?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Journaling is not only a great way to destress and record memories, but it is also a useful tool to look into the past and see how you’ve come. I keep a wide variety of journals, including, but not limited to: a daily journal, a spiritual journal, and a creative writing journal. I started travel journaling a few years ago, incorporating notes first into my daily journal, and then into a separate journal only for travel. It has been a great way to record all the small details of my trips. In the pages I’ve taped small mementos such as plane tickets and postcards, which helps me remember more of each journey and creates a certain nostalgia as well. 

Travel journaling is simple: regular journaling, just with a travel focus. First, I’m going to lay out a few basics. The act of journaling itself is subjective. You are able to write however you want, whatever you want, whenever you want, wherever you want. You can record facts from your day, your feelings, theories and ideas, creative expressions; really, the list goes on. Even though travel journaling has a specific focus, there is a wide range of things pertaining to that focus you can write about. I’ve been journaling almost daily for about four years now, and I don’t use prompts. I’m not completely against them, however I think the best way to write is by organically starting with your own perceptions. It’s a great way to work through your own thoughts and opinions, without being guided by a more objective prompt. 

Alright, now for materials. I’m quite the notebook connoisseur and collector by this point. I’ve also had my fair share of experiences with pens, pencils, and markers. I’m going to give a few recommendations for writing utensils that I’ve used and loved. Be sure to explore on your own, and find what speaks to you! 

1. Rifle Paper Co. Writing Pen:

I adore this pen. A friend gifted it to me a few years back. The inkwell is refillable, and I buy the refills off of Amazon. The pen itself is durable, and the rollerball tip lets your writing glide across the page. 

1. Peter Pauper Press Mid-Size Journal:

My Peter Pauper Press journals are lovely. For my daily journals I usually use their over-size ones, but their mid-size ones are perfect for on-the-go journaling. They come in a variety of cover styles, but I especially like the One Hundred Cities journal and the Sea Life Sketches journal.

1. PaperMate InkJoy Ballpoint Pens:

If you’re looking for a pen that is less fancy and practical for everyday use, look no further than these InkJoy pens. I use these for all kinds of writing, and they hold up to the demands of university life extremely well. The ballpoint tip gives you seamless elegance, even with the plain body. 10/10, I do recommend. 

1. Amazon Journals:

Lastly, if you’re looking for an inexpensive journal to start with, look around on Amazon to find one you like. There’s a wide variety of journals with different sizes, covers, and number of pages to choose from. Some of my first “serious” journals were from Amazon, and they were great for getting started. 

As I mentioned above, I don’t use prompts for journaling, but I am a fan of them for other artistic endeavors such as writing poetry or drawing. Prompts can also help a first-time journaler get started. I know the internal panic that ensues when staring at a blank page and wondering, “Where do I even begin?” Here are 50 travel journal prompts to help you get pen-to-paper, and to start journaling to your heart’s content. 

To finish off, here is a link to another website with more resources for beginner journalers. I wish you, dear reader, the best of luck not only in your journaling, but also your travels. Ready, set, begin writing!

Currently pursuing her B.A. at the University of South Florida, Samantha is a budding ethnographist, writer, and philosopher. She can most commonly be found reading between library shelves, writing poetry in her room, or playing guitar.