andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Travel Blog: The Best Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

The first time I traveled to Mexico, I saw on a painted sign, “Travel is the only thing you buy, that makes you richer.” Since then I have used that phrase to justify all of my trips abroad. Everytime I travel to a new country, I become richer. I become richer in knowledge, culture, perspective and passion. This study abroad trip enriched me in regards to each of those, but there are three experiences that made this trip even more valuable.

1. Fútbol

Coming to Argentina, especially during the World Cup, has been out of this world! The atmosphere and energy is insane. There really aren’t any sports bars here (they are replaced with cafes) so people choose to watch them inside of their own home or outside on this movie theater-size screen in Plaza San Martin.

Stretching from the bottom of the screen until the top of the hill, the park is full of fans representing the country they are rooting for. Faces are painted, flags are waved in the air, horns are being blared and the air is full of chants. After each time Argentina wins a game it is like a bomb goes off and the city is painted white and blue (the flag colors). For many, studying has been replaced with the World Cup and the professors have even moved around classes and exams so we can watch the games.

Personally, I am rooting for Mexico, Argentina and Costa Rica. But I will support all Latin American countries.

Watching the Argentina vs. Iran game with my fellow classmates on the hill of Plaza San Marti.

Reppin my Messi jersey!

2. Uruguay

Okay, okay, so it’s technically not Argentina, but it is part of my study abroad trip. Sunday, we took a day trip to Uruguay. Even though we were only there for a few hours, I completely fell in love. It was such relief to get away from the bustling city of Buenos Aires and escape to the peaceful cobblestone town of Colonia del Sacramento.

Touring the coastline.

Before the sunset in Colonia del Sacramento.

Although this touristy port of Uruguay had prices nearly doubled of those in Argentina, I enjoyed the simplicity of walking the coastline and eating next to the water. On top you can see the whole view and for that reason, we climbed to the top of the lighthouse. It was one of the steepest winding staircases I’ve ever climbed and even though we were out of breath, it was worth every step! The view was absolutely breathtaking and plenty of selfies were taken.

View from on top of the lighthouse.

What kind of tourists would we be if we didn’t take a selfie on top of the light house?!

3. Volunteering

The one thing that has enriched my Argentine experience was choosing to volunteer. When my second class ends at 5 p.m., I take a 35 minute bus ride to La Boca and volunteer teaching English and tutoring. It’s not at a school or library like many would imagine, but rather in the back of a small house that serves as a restaurant. During the day it functions as a restaurant to the tourists and at night it is open to the lower socioeconomic community and provides free food, desserts, drinks and tutoring.

The area where we play with and tutor the kids.

There are the same kids (ages 6-13) that come to learn, as well as the servers who work there who want to learn the menu and interact with customers in English. These kids come from a very poor background and have experienced the brutal side of life, whether it be seeing their house burn down or watching someone get murdered in front of them. They are illiterate and come here for hope of the future. It is truly a touching experience when I walk into the back and have the little girls run up to me and hug my legs. At the end of the day, I don’t want to leave.

Milena, one of my favorite girls! She’s always so eager to learn.

I leave Buenos Aires this Saturday and will be landing in the States Sunday morning! To say that I’m dreading it would be an understatement. I really am debating skipping my flight home.

Chau!

Ayla Horan is a Spanish and International Studies major at the University of South Florida. She is the current Vice President and Public Relations Chair for the Beta Gamma Chapter of Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority, Inc. She also represents the study abroad community by serving as a GloBull Ambassador. She loves to travel and doing anything outdoors. In the future she hopes to attend law school and become an immigration lawyer. Her long term goal is to open up a school in Latin America.
Lover of all things Disney, Star Wars, Marvel, Harry Potter and fashion. Junior. Mass Communication major. Disney Cast member. Aspiring writer.