Tornado warning in Hillsborough County; sirens sound on campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

As everyone knows, severe weather has been reported in and around Tampa and a storm cell socked the USF campus, making the tornado alarms go off. A lot of classes were canceled and  tornados and funnel clouds have been spotted all over the Tampa Bay area and even I couldn’t make it to my morning classes because a tornao touched down on U.S. 41, my route to the Tampa campus.

Make sure you stay informed by checking USF.edu often for storm updates. In the mean-time, check out discussion on the storm from uSF students:

Here are some real-time tweets from Twitter under the #USF search:

usfmatt: Looks like its darker again here at #usf and more rain offshore too, it ain’t over yet

jenn_carson: This is so scary!! RT @laura_labs: Tornado watch on #USF campus. Stuck in the MSC..http://myloc.me/iYRKM 

tbchick2011: #tornado sirens going off at #usf but we still have class.

jazzchic:Where is my beer? I didn’t know it was going to be a pseudo-hurricane party day. #USF#operationStormWatch

jazzchic: #USF now they are making verbal announcements on some hidden loud speakers.

usfmatt: alarms going off at #Usf

jazzchic:#USF just put out a campus wide alert to stay inside do to tornadic activity in the area. Looking out the window, the rain is falling

soxfan111: The #USF area is getting hit with the storm now. Everyone stay indoors and be aware a tornado warning is in effect.

CurtisTMEd:To my fellow #USF folks and friends in Hillsborough County: Stay safe with the weather down there.

cristinahaines:#USF just sent a text: Tornado Warning. Be prepared to seek shelter.

USFNEWS:There is a tornado warning in effect for Hillsborough County. Check the #USF website for more information: http://www.usf.edu/

QueenNepy: “Alert USF Tampa: Tornado warning in effect for Hillsb Cnty. Be prepared to seek shelter.” Am still in class #WTF
Daylina Miller is a senior at the University of South Florida studying multimedia journalism and psychology and anticipates graduating spring 2012. She is a member of the national and USF chapter of The Society of Professional Journalists, Bull Bikers' Association, and the Heavy Metal Enthusiasts Club. She currently writes news features for USF's website and is an avid blogger. Her interests include traveling, writing, tarot, paranormal research and photography. She recently enjoyed a travel/study tour to London and various cities in Ireland and plans on backpacking through Europe after graduation. Being a mermaid didn't pan out and paranormal research won't pay her bills so her ultimate goal is to report for a well-respected daily newspaper or magazine as a multimedia journalist.