This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Did you know that anxiety is the most common mental health disorder among college students? And, hey if you think about it, it really makes sense. 

Starting a new stage of life, moving away from home — maybe to another state or country —making new friends, keeping up with social life on top of academic responsibilities, being involved on campus, being in charge of budgeting and taking care of your own finances, etc. The list goes on and on! I get anxious and stressed just writing about it. But, at the end of the day, we are all together in this. As people who are in college and are trying our best to thrive in this new adventure, I am here to share my little piece of knowledge and tell you how I manage my anxiety! 

Disclaimer: these strategies work for me, give them a shot if they sound appealing! 

Sunday Planning

I love bullet journaling and making lists. Basically, I love having all my tasks written down so I can always go back to them and actually see them. I started bullet journaling in my junior year of high school to manage my 15 classes back in Venezuela, on top of debate club and varsity volleyball. The thought of missing an assignment or having my extracurriculars overlap at any point was always very hectic and anxiety-inducing. 

Solution? I would take every Sunday morning to sit down, with a nice cup of coffee, and write down what assignments and activities I had for the following week, when they were due, and what day I would be doing them. LIFE CHANGER! I have my academic, social, and personal life in check after adapting this mindful morning routine.

Rubik’s Cube

This is definitely a stretch because I know not everyone knows how to solve one, but hey YouTube has amazing tutorials that I memorized when I was in 5th grade! Every time I know a panic attack or anxiety episode is about to arise, I always reach for my Rubik’s Cube. It may sound dumb but focusing all of my energy on one thing — plus a thing I know how to solve and therefore I have control over —has been a life-changer for me as well! 

Picking up a Hobby

For me, it was crocheting! I wanted to make a cute scarf for my boyfriend and decided to learn basic crocheting. The repetitive process of crocheting is very soothing, helping me with my anxiety the more I work on my projects. After what I thought was going to be a one-time thing for a present, it has turned into my go-to activity. 

Scrolling through Instagram or TikTok for hours makes me feel guilty, like a victim of procrastination, and of course, procrastination is one of the main triggering factors to my anxiety. Crocheting makes me feel that I am working towards a goal (the finished project) in a relaxing-no-deadline-imposed kind of way.

Hi, I am Fabs! I am a writer for Her Campus at the University of South Florida. I am a PR and Advertising major with a minor in Creative Writing. Things you should know about me are: I am a Taurus, I love reading young adult and poetry books, I have an art business, and my native language is Spanish!