This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

As the semester starts to become more stressful, I have noticed myself reverting back to old movies and media that I loved as a child. I love the feeling of being sucked up into an entire world over the course of several movies. There’s something so magical about the comfort of watching your favorite movie franchise while being able to recite all the words. 

It feels like coming home. 

I’ve been watching said films with my boyfriend over the course of the semester, and it has made me realize how impactful these series can be. 

They’re easy conversation starters, highlighting how they have cemented themselves in everyday culture. For instance, your Hogwarts house is now a common personality question. And if you’re wondering, I’m a Ravenclaw!

Series like Harry Potter, Star Wars, and the countless Marvel movies are all examples of a shared cultural phenomenon. It feels like everyone has some form of appreciation for at least one of those movies and how they bring people together. Most viewers have a fond memory relating to the franchise, whether it involves growing up with the books, movies, or more.

In my case, I grew up a huge Harry Potter fan, getting the boxset when I was in the third grade for Christmas. The number of memories I have surrounding the series with movie premieres, voraciously reading the books, and in general, it being my first time partaking in fandom culture. It will always be a series that I hold very close to my heart.

Through reflection, I’ve noticed how series like these capture such intense feelings of passion, enjoyment, and mostly nostalgia. Being immersed in this content feels like you are a part of an entirely different world, and it can be really comforting. It brings me back to when I first fell in love with storytelling and movies, and I consider it a form of self-care.

Overall, movie franchises have been able to inspire fans of films of all ages. These stories are shared and loved with family, friends, and others who are brought together by a series.

This collective experience is uplifting, and as a writer, encourages me to create things that have this effect on people. I recommend that everyone watches their favorite series the next time they need a pick-me-up, to then see how great storytelling can leave a lasting impact. 

Hi! My name is Penelope, but everyone calls me Penny. I am an undergraduate student at the University of South Florida majoring in marketing and integrated PR and advertising. I'm a proud, communicative Gemini, who is excited to share on Her Campus! Some of my interests include watching movies (I consider myself an 80's movie aficionado), listening to music, going to concerts, and following hockey.