This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Last weekend, audiences all around the world dropped everything now and set out to a movie theater to watch sold-out premieres of Taylor Swift’s coveted The Eras Tour Concert Movie. Like thousands of other diehard Swifties, I have been looking forward to this moment since its announcement in August, and stepping into a theater full of Folklore cardigans, friendship bracelets and a buzz of sunshine-optimism was something I will never forget. Luckily, I was able to go to the concert in Tampa, Florida back in April, so please keep in mind that my review of this spectacular experience may differ from that of someone who was in attendance for only the movie.

Before we even arrived, my friends and I hyped ourselves up by blasting Taylor Swift in the car; we were head-banging with anticipation to Speak Now (Taylor’s Version), an album that I strongly suggest listening to to get yourself in that concert-ready headspace. I’m very grateful for the people I went with, as it allowed me to experience the movie from different levels of fan perspectives. One of my friends had also gone to the Tampa, Florida concert, another informed us she liked Taylor Swift a lot, but she wasn’t a Swiftie (something that we later discussed and she realized she was), and the last friend recognized a few songs, but didn’t know too much about Taylor Swift.

The second we entered the movie theater, there was a tangible hum of excitement. Every single person there, whether in line to buy one of the AMC-exclusive popcorn buckets or holding hands with a friend, partner or parent, was buzzing. We claimed a spot in line, got our merch buckets and human-sized Diet Cokes, before making our way to our seats. Every hallway was packed with fans, and just as we walked into our theater, we heard people in the theater across from us screaming at the top of their lungs, “…she wears short skirts, I wear T-shirts.” I can’t quite explain it, but I felt as though a pure gold rush shimmered through my veins. To be part of a community filled with love, to be one of the hundreds of people who came to sing their heart out in a cinema full of their peers was incredible. 

Before we knew it, lights went down and in the second before the screen lit up, everyone in the audience held a collective breath. We couldn’t wait to watch it begin again.  And then I was back there, in Raymond James Stadium, as I watched her, era by era. She led us gracefully from Lover all the way through to Midnights, and her speedy outfit changes and perfected choreography were nothing short of a spectacle.

Filmed in Los Angeles’ SoFi Stadium, this concert movie truly is what it says on the tin. I have bad news for fans of The Archer, Cardigan, Wildest Dreams and No Body, No Crime, as they were all sadly cut from the movie. I would’ve loved some backstage or behind the scenes footage, however my own personal theory leads me to believe that we will get a “Reclaiming the Eras” documentary once all of the re-recordings are out. Based on that, I wasn’t too disappointed when there was no behind the scenes footage. 

The visuals themselves were magnificent. You can see every detail on the costumes, every sparkle, every micro-expression of the dancers. It was made even better, of course, by the people in our theater singing and dancing along, making it feel as though we were truly just a section at the stadium. As Marjorie played, we swayed under the glow of flashlights, and when Shake It Off played, we shake-shake-shaked

One of my favorite things about not just this movie, but the overarching concept of the Eras Tour in general, is that it feels like you are experiencing Taylor Swift’s discography on shuffle, but in the most magnificent and elaborate way. From her wholesome heart hands and guitar twirl in Fearless to the sexy, edgy choreography of Reputation and Midnights, to the funky pop-dance experience that came with the neon bicycles of 1989, you truly get the ultimate Swiftie experience. 

Growing up, I had always dreamed of going to the Red Tour in 2012, but I never asked my parents when it happened, and at nine years old, I don’t think I even knew where people went to buy tickets. I was lucky enough to attend Reputation in London’s Wembley Stadium, but it always frustrated me that I had missed the Red Tour. Going to the Eras Tour kind of healed that in me. Coming out from the other end of my teenage years, I was able to see what I would have seen eleven years ago, but I now understood and loved it so much more. The Eras Tour was one of the most incredible experiences of my life, and now I am ecstatic that it was filmed and the second it comes out on streaming, I will be able to relive it whenever I would like to.

The colors on screen were vibrant and the videography angles meant you truly were able to see everything everywhere at all times. It was beautifully filmed. The sound was clear and the screen/floor projections were magnificent. Where I sat at the concert, I wasn’t able to see the Lover House or the snakes on the diamond during Reputation, so another reason I loved seeing the film was that it offered me a completely unique, new experience than what I had seen back in April. Each song was clear, and all of the props and dances were even more terrific up-close. Tolerate It, for example, hit much harder this time around as we were able to see, in detail, the pained expression of Taylor and of the dancer simultaneously as she performed it. 

The surprise songs were Our Song and You’re On Your Own, Kid, a beautiful full circle of her musical journey. I truly could not think of anything else more fitting. I do wish that Speak Now had more than one song, but I understand that due to the upcoming hype being created for Speak Now (Taylor’s Version), this era of the original concert consisted only of Enchanted and anything else came in the form of the acoustic set. 

As we left the screen, my friend who didn’t know much about Taylor Swift turned to us and said “I think I’m becoming a Swiftie,” and if that doesn’t sell it for you, I truly do not know what will. Your experience of the concert movie will depend greatly on the people you go with, and the energy of the audience. However, throughout most of it, I felt completely alone. Not in a sad way, but in the kind of way where you suddenly feel as though you are the only person in the world. This feeling resembles being the only one in the audience, and Taylor singing to you, and only you, for three hours, which was the exact same way I felt on Night Three in Tampa. 

I think that this movie was much less of a ‘movie’ and more so an extension of the 146-date concert experience. I also enjoyed the blooper reel that played as credits ran, underpinned by the joyous fan-favorite Long Live. As the lights came up at the end, there is a dedication shown on friendship bracelets:

“Thank you to the most generous, thoughtful, loving fans on the planet. This is all because of you and for you.”

And I could not think of a more apt way to end this review, this film and the whole experience. I felt loved in that theater, I felt understood. There was a sense of belonging that I haven’t found outside of my safest spaces and my safest people. Everyone was me, and I was everyone. I felt truly like a twenty-year-old girl at a concert with her friends, having the time of her life. I will say to anyone and everyone even remotely interested, please go watch this. If you went to the concert, if you couldn’t get tickets, if you don’t know anything about Taylor Swift other than she pretty much took over the world this past year, go watch this movie. Long story short, it was an amazing time. It is wonderful to be a part of something in such a unique and wholesome way, and I will always remember going to the concert on Friday the 13th with some of my best friends. 

Taylor said that “you know the greatest films of all times were never made,” but I truly believe that this movie will mean so many things to so many people and I am forever thankful that it is in our world right now. 

Hi there! My name is Ilana, I'm a sophomore at USF, studying elementary education. I am originally from London, and have a service dog! I write about chronic illness, Taylor Swift and some of my other favorite things. Happy reading :)