Culture > News

Tarana Burke, Me Too Movement Founder, Shares Experiences with USF

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

The final months of the year 2017 sparked the beginning of an ongoing flame of revolution, redefining the culture surrounding sexual assault.

On October 15, 2017, actress Alyssa Milano tweeted the phrase:

“Me too,” accompanied by the message, “Suggested by a friend: ‘If all the women who have been sexually harassed or assaulted write ‘Me too,’ as a status, we might give people a sense of the magnitude of the problem.’”

Almost instantly, her tweet swept across the timelines of thousands of users, many voicing their me toos in response. Along with the viral tweet, the strong desire for justice and change by survivors of and activists against sexual violence demanded a difference be made within the overlooked concept of sexual violence.

Beginning online, the movement provided those who had endured any form of sexual violence with a platform to safely acknowledge and fight the haunting experiences of their pasts. The united front of those suffering from detrimental sexual assaults, yet craving a positive change within rape culture became the driving force behind the continuation of the #MeToo Movement.

Although, to their knowledge, there was much more history behind the simple, but significant, two worded movement.

In 2006, activist Tarana Burke began caring for survivors of sexual violence, especially those belonging to minority groups. She worked to supply not only helpful resources, but also teams of advocates, consisting of past sexual assault survivors, to create solutions that would put an end to sexual violence in communities. The popular “Me Too” tweet, in addition to her work, fostered a national conversation about sexual violence. Her original, communitywide works of activism were promoted to a higher level of conversation and influence. Today, Burke’s efforts are no longer serving in select areas, as they are now making a change nationwide.

Photo courtesy of Twitter

To start the new year, the University of South Florida (USF) hosted Tarana Burke as the first speaker for the University Lecture Series (ULS). She visited the university on January 22. After being introduced to the event’s audience, Burke emerged from the back of USF’s oval theater to a welcoming, heartfelt applause from her admirable listeners. She graciously walked the stage to be met by her interviewer, Deirdre Cobb-Roberts, and began to share her experiences as inventor of the #MeToo Movement.

Photo courtesy of @lectureusf via Instagram

Prior to the #MeToo Movement, Burke described the conversation surrounding sexual violence to be minuscule in comparison to the dialogue today. Even though activism against sexual assault was taking place before the movement, it did not have the abilities, influences, or magnitude of nationwide support as it does today. As a result of the #MeToo Movement, it has been easier for sexual violence survivors to access resources and supportive outlets, while interacting and witnessing other survivors and activists inform others by promoting awareness and justice to a dangerous history of sexual violence.

In order to create a lasting impact on sexual violence, Burke believes that it is necessary to own and represent the change in an enlightening manner. Her approach to achieving change is providing resources, acknowledgments, and voices to the fact that sexual assault is inappropriate and wrong.

Photo courtesy of Dazed

Burke recalls that the language surrounding sexual violence carries an immense amount of power for defeating rape culture. Instead of defining individuals who have experienced a form of sexual assault as victims, Burke insists on using the term survivors. She explains that the terminology within sexual violence culture convinces one to believe that he or she has been consumed by his or her experiences, ultimately becoming nothing more than a sexual assault; however, if one refers to him or herself as a survivor of sexual violence, he or she is capable of recognizing that even though violence has been endured, that individual is still strong, capable, and alive.

While the #MeToo Movement is continuing, Burke encourages supporters to empathize with survivors. She emphasizes the importance of sharing stories, believing in others, supporting one another, and coming together to defeat sexual violence. Sexual violence does not discriminate, for that reason, it is necessary to represent the change needed to eliminate rape culture from society.

If you or someone you know has encountered some form of sexual harassment, please refer to the University of South Florida’s resources for immediate help.

Outlets for help include the USF Center for Victim Advocacy and Violence Prevention, Counselling Center, Student Health Services, Crisis Center of Tampa Bay, USF Police Department, USF Police Department, Hillsborough County Sheriff, Office of Diversity, Inclusion & Equal Opportunity, and Office of Student Rights & Responsibilities.

Photo courtesy of Medium

My name is Eila Knaf and I am a second-year student perusing a degree in Business Advertising within the Zimmerman Advertising Program. I am a member of the Delta Kappa chapter of the Delta Gamma Fraternity. I enjoy spending time with my friends and family, playing sports, writing, and doing makeup.
Interests include but are not limited to: art, history, astrology, skin care, the french, politics (yikes), frank ocean, controversy and being extremely overdramatic.