Talking About Things You Love Without Embarrassment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

When we were young, we loved things without wondering what anyone else thought. We wore Hello Kitty shoes and Disney princess pajamas. We never cared if the other kids thought princesses were silly, or if adults thought we had too many stuffed animals. Why, then, do we care so much now about showing off things we enjoy?

Now, when people ask what music I listen to or what books I read, I just give them a vague answer: “oh, I listen to lots of music” or “just fiction books.” Why? Why not tell them my favorite artist is Florence + The Machine or that I like reading fantasy and romance? I think the biggest reason is that I’m afraid of judgment. What if they think my interests are stupid?

I’ve had friends tell me they struggle with the same issues. They enjoy certain cartoon shows, anime, reality TV, etc. that they don’t tell people about because they’re embarrassed. These should not have to be guilty pleasures!

Lately, I’ve realized it doesn’t matter if people like your passions or not. They’re your passions. If you want to tell people or post about your favorite shows, favorite books, hobbies, secret talents, do it. That’s part of what makes you who you are. The things you like don’t make you weird—they make you stand out. It’s okay to be different. And you never know, you may find people who have things in common with you and make new friends.

The point is, never be embarrassed about what makes you happy. Be proud of it, and you might inspire others to do the same.

Hi everyone! My name is Taylor Arnold, and I'm a junior at USF studying English with a concentration in creative writing and a minor in mass communication. I love painting, reading, traveling, shopping, coffee, and (of course) writing.