Taking Away Tradition at Graduation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Graduation serves as one of the best days of a student’s life—a day that they will remember for the rest of their life. All their years of hard work have finally paid off and they are able to walk across the stage and receive their diploma. As they cross that stage, it is their opportunity to show the audience who they are. Who’s to take away of how they want to showcase who they are and what they represent? At graduation this year, students’ time to shine will be dimmed.

It is tradition for many Greek organizations to step, stroll, and/or salute as a way to show their respect and unity as an organization. It is something they take pride in and often showcase these performances/routines at various events on campus, including graduation. However, for this year’s graduation, according to Tampa Bay Times, “USF notified graduating students and placed an ad in the student newspaper this week asking them to refrain from inappropriate behavior, which includes stepping, strolling, marching or taking selfies with USF President Judy Genshaft when crossing the stage for their diplomas” (Wright). Students are now only allowed a simple handshake and professional photo on their big day.

At last year’s graduation ceremony, former USF student body president Will Warmke saw about 15 students take selfies with Genshaft. This made the person who was graduating after them have to wait for their moment to cross the stage and receive their diploma. Michael A. Freeman, USF assistant vice president and dean for students, commented, “it’s [graduation] supposed to be exciting, but it’s a serious academic ceremony,” and goes on to say that he doesn’t want to have to enforce any penalties or consequences. Those who proceed to snap a picture of President Genshaft could face disciplinary action and the withholding of their degree. So, is it worth it?

This new rule has sparked a lot of discussion across the campus and Greek community. Many have taken offense to this and say that USF can’t claim to have a big Greek life if the public can’t see the culture—that it takes away from the USF Greek identity. Some have stated that they will stroll/step/march despite the request, but others have agreed to comply and just present their hand sign instead. Beginning May 2nd, a total of 6,431 degrees will be awarded at the USF commencement ceremonies, and these graduates should exemplify their pride during one of their proudest moments. Congratulations, GO BULLS!

Photo Credits:

http://photos.mycapture.com/DYTN/1000397/29403704E.jpg

Ayla Horan is a Spanish and International Studies major at the University of South Florida. She is the current Vice President and Public Relations Chair for the Beta Gamma Chapter of Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority, Inc. She also represents the study abroad community by serving as a GloBull Ambassador. She loves to travel and doing anything outdoors. In the future she hopes to attend law school and become an immigration lawyer. Her long term goal is to open up a school in Latin America.
Justine is a recent graduate of the University of South Florida. She received her B.A. in mass communcations in spring 2014. She was the 2013-2014 Campus Correspondent for Her Campus USF.She was also a News & Feature Writing Intern for College of Arts and Sciences and the Public Relations Campus Rep for Rent the Runway at USF. She is currently seeking agency experience and would love to someday work for a magazine, become a novelist, poet, editor, host of a Travel Channel show and much more.  She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, art, literature, pop culture and student life. She spends most days listening to Lana del Rey, calming her nerves with various types of cheese, being sassy and trying to figure out when she can take a nap.Check out her website and portfolio here.She'd love you forever, if you followed her on Twitter @tinafigs_.Contact Justine regarding business inquires only at justinefigueroa@hercampus.com.