This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Every day we’re getting closer to the beach time of the year. Our sunny state is the only one without snow this year and some of us have already had the opportunity to go out and spend time laying out by the pool. With Spring Break coming up shortly and plans to soak up the sun taking up our minds, it is important to remember one thing: wear sunscreen!

We’ve heard it all before so why is it so important? Well, do you really want to look burned and wrinkly by the time you hit your forties?

Besides giving you a bad burn, tanning without the proper application of sunscreen can result in finding melanoma on your body. In case you haven’t heard, melanoma is the most dangerous form of skin cancer. That’s right: the big, scary C-word. Melanoma is no joke and the longer you stay out in the sun without sunscreen, the more you expose your skin to the harmful radiation of the sun.

Last summer, Huffington Post had an article on the benefits of sunscreen. Among the top five reasons was that skin cancer rates have been steadily increasing throughout the years. Another reason to put the lotion on? It’ll slow down the process of the sun aging your skin and it’ll help prevent unwanted skin discoloration and spots from showing up.

So what does a melanoma look like? According to the Skin Cancer Foundation, the majority of these spots are black or brown, but can also be skin-colored, pink, red, purple, or white. Luckily if it is caught and treated early enough, the melanoma will most likely be curable.

It’s tempting to skip applying the sunscreen but think about how worth it will be in the long run. Putting on lotion won’t ruin your tan. Spending a few minutes taking care of your skin before going out in the sun is the smart thing to do.

Image source: http://www.theluxuryspot.com/rant-of-the-week-advice-on-tanning-beds-from-a-brown-person/

http://www.skincancer.org/prevention/sun-protection/sunscreen

Brittany is a senior at the University of South Florida, majoring in mass communications with a focus on magazine journalism. She is also pursuing a minor in creative writing. She's written for an online magazine, Reasons to be Beautiful. She enjoys reading, watching movies and hooked on tv shows. Her dream job would be to write for Entertainment Weekly or writing movie reviews while living in the U.K.
Justine is a recent graduate of the University of South Florida. She received her B.A. in mass communcations in spring 2014. She was the 2013-2014 Campus Correspondent for Her Campus USF.She was also a News & Feature Writing Intern for College of Arts and Sciences and the Public Relations Campus Rep for Rent the Runway at USF. She is currently seeking agency experience and would love to someday work for a magazine, become a novelist, poet, editor, host of a Travel Channel show and much more.  She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, art, literature, pop culture and student life. She spends most days listening to Lana del Rey, calming her nerves with various types of cheese, being sassy and trying to figure out when she can take a nap.Check out her website and portfolio here.She'd love you forever, if you followed her on Twitter @tinafigs_.Contact Justine regarding business inquires only at justinefigueroa@hercampus.com.