Single Girl’s Guide for Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

If you’re single and don’t know what to do today for Valentine’s Day, then you’ve came to the right place. Just because you don’t have a significant other does not mean that you are exempted from this holiday. Below I am listing 8 things that you can do today in celebration of a single’s Valentine’s Day. Hope you enjoy!

1.      Stay away from social media. First things first. Do not tune into your social media sites. For singles it can be quite annoying having to constantly be reminded that you are single post after post of lovey-dovey stuff. Do yourself and just tune out for the rest of the day from Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.

2.      Go to a local karaoke joint. Hey why not? Just because you are single doesn’t mean you can’t mingle. Go to a karaoke spot and meet people, make a fool of yourself (or not), and just have fun. I can guarantee you’ll have a great time.

3.      Crash on the couch with your favorite movies. Today some channels such as ABC Family is having a Valentine’s Day movie marathon. You could tune into that or rent a few movies from Redbox and stay in for the night.

4.      Go out with the girls. Go out with your single girlfriends and roam the city. You could have a lunch/dinner date, or go to the movies, maybe even both. Spending time with your friends will help make this day feel less lonesome.

5.      Treat yourself. Do a little retail therapy. Get a mani-pedi. Change up your look at the hair salon. The options are endless. Treating/pampering yourself will make you feel good about yourself.

6.      Get lost in a book. For all you bookworms out there, why not pick up a new book? Head on over to Barnes and Noble or even Oxford Exchange and lose yourself in a story. This will occupy your time and mind.

7.      Attend a singles event. Yesterday I went to an event called Singles Night Out. Today I am sure there are lots of singles events going on in the area. Find one that is closest to you and head on over there.

8.      Go to the gym. Do something that improves your health. While everyone is out downing carbs and wine, head on over to the gym for an intense workout. Instead of piling on weight, shed it. You will feel good and energized afterwards.

I am a senior at the University of South Florida. I am majoring in advertising. My favorite things are beauty, fashion, entertainment, food and travel.
Justine is a recent graduate of the University of South Florida. She received her B.A. in mass communcations in spring 2014. She was the 2013-2014 Campus Correspondent for Her Campus USF.She was also a News & Feature Writing Intern for College of Arts and Sciences and the Public Relations Campus Rep for Rent the Runway at USF. She is currently seeking agency experience and would love to someday work for a magazine, become a novelist, poet, editor, host of a Travel Channel show and much more.  She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, art, literature, pop culture and student life. She spends most days listening to Lana del Rey, calming her nerves with various types of cheese, being sassy and trying to figure out when she can take a nap.Check out her website and portfolio here.She'd love you forever, if you followed her on Twitter @tinafigs_.Contact Justine regarding business inquires only at justinefigueroa@hercampus.com.