Single Awareness Day Versus Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

If you’ve been in any store recently, I’m sure you’ve noticed all the giant teddy bears, boxes of chocolate, and pink and red heart shaped balloons. Yep, that day that us single ladies all dread is right around the corner… Valentine’s Day *cues horror movie music*.  It is also the day that ladies in relationships love. A friend once told me that “Valentine’s Day is just single awareness day”, but this year that doesn’t have to be a bad thing! So what the acronym for single awareness day is SAD… okay that kind of sucks. Regardless, here some ways to have a good February 14th no matter your relationship status!

1.       Eat a good meal

Single Awareness Day (S.A.D.): There should be no shame in your game hun! If you want to go out to dinner on Valentine’s Day, go for it! Get together with some of your other single friends, or treat yourself if all of your friends are in a relationship. No matter what circumstance you’re in, definitely eat a yummy meal. How cares about how many calories it is, you deserve it! Just beware that you’ll probably want to get your food to go to avoid long lines and those couples who take PDA to the extreme.

Valentine’s Day (V.D.):  Yayy your boyfriend is taking you out to a romantic dinner tonight! Make sure you take this time to really bond with him so he feels appreciated for all he’s done to make your day absolutely perfect. Just remember two things: don’t play on your phone the whole night and skip the messy food no matter how good it may look.

2.       Dress Up

S.A.D.:  Don’t you just feel like a pop star when you get all dolled up? February 14th is the perfect day to do that! Make all those guys who have secretly had a crush on you absolutely drool. Even though you’re not in a relationship does not mean it’s a sweatshirt and jeans type of day. Put on a little more mascara and your best lip gloss, and change your hair up a bit. Then throw on a cute little dress (with a cardigan if it’s cold) and a fabulous necklace and strut your stuff.

V.D.:  Show your man why you’re the hottest girl on the planet. Don’t get me wrong, personality should definitely come before looks in a relationship, but it doesn’t hurt to be a beauty queen for your boyfriend every once in awhile. I’m not saying put on pageant girl makeup if you usually only wear mascara, but spruce things up a bit. Curl your hair and put on your favorite outfit and show him that not only do you have an awesome personality but that you’re also pretty cute too!

3.       Watch a movie

S.A.D.:  Lucky for you, you can watch any type of movie you want to! Whether it be a cute love story a.k.a. anything that was originally a book by Nicholas Sparks, a cute chick flick like John Tucker Must Die, or a throwback slasher film like Nightmare on Elm Street, it is all up to you! Regardless a good movie night should make you feel relaxed whether you’re with your girls or not. If you and some of your friends are single, skip movie night and go out! Just because you don’t have a valentine this year doesn’t mean you can’t start looking for next year!

V.D.: All I can say is Nicholas Sparks, Nicholas Sparks, Nicholas Sparks! He is the absolute king of young adult love stories. Did I mention that he is coming to USF of February 13th  at the MSC Ballroom at 7:30?! Movies like “The Notebook” and “Dear John” will make you feel very close to your boo. You can also pretend that you haven’t seen those movies a thousand times are ready and take the opportunity to cuddle with him when the tear jerker parts come on.

Overall there are tons of things to do on this Valentine’s day regardless of your relationship status! Have fun ladies!

PHOTO SOURCES:

http://www.someecards.com/usercards/viewcard/MjAxMy0zNjU4YWFiZTFmYzlhZTNh

http://waytoenliven.com/gifts-flowers/gifts/valentines-day-gifts-men/

Justine is a recent graduate of the University of South Florida. She received her B.A. in mass communcations in spring 2014. She was the 2013-2014 Campus Correspondent for Her Campus USF.She was also a News & Feature Writing Intern for College of Arts and Sciences and the Public Relations Campus Rep for Rent the Runway at USF. She is currently seeking agency experience and would love to someday work for a magazine, become a novelist, poet, editor, host of a Travel Channel show and much more.  She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, art, literature, pop culture and student life. She spends most days listening to Lana del Rey, calming her nerves with various types of cheese, being sassy and trying to figure out when she can take a nap.Check out her website and portfolio here.She'd love you forever, if you followed her on Twitter @tinafigs_.Contact Justine regarding business inquires only at justinefigueroa@hercampus.com.