This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

As winter break approaches, you may consider taking a road trip. It is affordable, more adventurous, and a classic way to make memories with friends. Road trips are loads of fun and always end in memories that will last a lifetime. Whether you are driving somewhere for a few hours or even for a few days away, we have your back with five tips to survive long car rides.

Do not forget. It is not about the destination, it is about the journey.

Tip #1: Get some caffeine

This may seem obvious for some, but be prepared to have some form of caffeine, especially if you are driving. This may mean having to buy energy drinks at the gas station or brewing a few cups of coffee the day of your departure. Caffeine is a timeless road trip essential because driving in a roughly straight line for so many hours can get tedious. Especially as a driver, if the rest of your vehicle is asleep and unable to entertain you, caffeine is the next best thing. Definitely a must for any road trip.

Photo courtesy of CO-OP Credit Unions

Tip #2: Go grocery shopping beforehand

These groceries are not for your refrigerator at home, but for munching on the way to your destination. It is tempting to stop at a gas station convenience store or a drive-thru restaurant when you get hungry, but it can become expensive. Also, constantly stopping to pick up a cup of coffee or chips may result in your journey taking longer, so pack a small bag of dry goods such as chips, popcorn, cereal and drinks, and you should be good to hit the road.

Photo courtesy of Orange County Register

Tip #3: Fill up the gas tank a day before

Road trips can last many hours, and the worst thing that can happen is having to stop for gas a mere hour into the drive. If you know the destination is a few hours away, it’s easier to be safe than sorry. Many highways deemed for long rides do not have frequent exits to gas stations. Your best bet is to fill up a day in advance, so you are guaranteed a few hours of uninterrupted driving time.

Photo courtesy of Natural News

Tip #4: Download movies and music

More often than not, long car rides can become very boring, so it is appropriate to prepare yourself with entertainment. Of course, as a driver you should download music, podcasts, or an audio book. This is due to radio stations constantly changing by your location as well as having bad connection in general. As a passenger, downloading movies or T.V. shows makes the road trip go by much faster and much smoother.

Photo courtesy of Pandotrip.com

Tip #5: Make stops along the way

Taking a road trip all in one go can be very long and very tiring. Making stops along the way to sight see for a few hours makes a huge difference. It is not always about the destination, so the more stops you can make to see new places, the better. Also, it makes your roundtrip much more worth it and memorable, so take it slow, enjoy the journey, and have a safe drive!

I am from Miami, Florida and in my senior year at the University of South Florida. I am a member of Delta Delta Delta international sorority. I work at a barre, yoga, cycle studio so you can always catch me exercising in one way or another! I love Her Campus because it grants me the freedom to write about what I am passionate about.
Interests include but are not limited to: art, history, astrology, skin care, the french, politics (yikes), frank ocean, controversy and being extremely overdramatic.