This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

As an avid Kuchi (that’s the fandom name haha), I cannot express how excited I was when she announced a new album would come out soon. This album not only would have Peso Pluma, Rauw Alejandro, Karol G, and El Alfa features, but it would be her 2nd Latin album with genres like bolero, merengue, and perreo. These genres are not just the best representation of Latino culture, but genres I grew up listening to from mi mama’s stereo, like any other Latina girl.

To me, it wasn’t a surprise that I loved the album, but what surprised me was how nostalgic it made me feel. Not only were the sounds those of my childhood, but all the great memories music has brought me. Salsa reminded me of the countless dancefloors my shoes have graced as mis tios took me out to dance. Love songs that bring out the hopeless romantic in me, for love has no ley. Perreos brings all the confidence you’d ever need. Time and time again I have written about music, but really, music is the sound of el corazon y alma, one that Kali perfectly blossomed to life. 

As such, what better way than to share mis favoritas tracks!

#5: Me Pongo Loca

Who doesn’t love a little Latino funk? Bueno, with Me Pongo Loca, Kali not only embodies the feelings of crazy being in love brings, but the desperation and anxiety not knowing what that other person is doing causes. As the title suggests, going crazy.

#4: Dame Beso // Muévete

Finally! A little bit of merengue in the album! This song closes out the album, and honestly, there’s no better end. Not only is it playful like “ORQUÍDEAS”, but the fast tempo is an homage to Uchis’ Latina roots in Colombia. 

#3: No Hay Ley Parte 2 (with Rauw Alejandro)

I was already a fan of “No Hay Ley”, but this feature is actually insane! Rauw’s verse adds a new perspective lyrically, whilst his flow makes the song turn pegajosa. One can only listen to this and secretly dance around…

#2: Diosa

Within my first listen to this I knew it’d be one of my favorites from Kali’s album. Another self-confidence anthem? Yes, but add a bit of reggaeton and funk, and it’s 1000% times better. You best believe I play this while getting ready, need a little boost, or just for a little baile

#1: Igual Que Un Ángel (with Peso Pluma)

I am so glad this is the most popular song off of “ORQUÍDEAS”. Not only is it my favorite, but one of the best love songs I have ever heard. Maybe it’s the lyrics, the sound, las voces, the harmonies, the melody…maybe everything. I cannot wait to hear this live someday. 

ORQUÍDEAS is available to stream on Spotify and Apple Music. 

mar is a double major in international studies & world languages and culture at usf. she hopes to go to law school after graduating to pursue international human rights law. she can be found daydreaming about love, making a million playlists on spotify, or crocheting the night away. legend says she dilly-dallies around the campus...