My Thoughts on the Drake vs. Kanye Beef

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Well, I guess we’re back here again. 

If any of you babes have been on social media the past two months, there is a good chance you know about the album war between CLB and Donda. Going beyond the albums, however, Drizzy and Ye have been feuding for years. The catalyst for this tension over the past 4 years was Kanye producing Pusha T’s song, The Story of Adidon, in which the world was told that Drake has a son. 

So (drumroll please) … who is better: Kanye or Drake? 

Drake has always been my favorite artist. There’s just something about his voice and aesthetic that I have such enjoyment for. I’ve been watching Drake since he was Wheelchair Jimmy on Degrassi, so growing up with the guy triggers my soft spot for him. 

Listening to old Drake albums such as Take CareNothing Was the Same, and Thank Me Later instills one of the best feelings in the world: nostalgia. I reminisce about 9 year old me memorizing Take Care and Headlines, putting the peace sign up to The Motto; I feel this appreciation for the artist as he triggers such happy times in my mind. 

Now gals, let us move on to Mr. West. We all grew up hearing StrongerHeartlessLove Lockdown, and Gold Digger on the radio. But it wasn’t until I was 16 that I started listening to Kanye’s albums as a whole. As I got into the music and researched the origins and meanings of each album, I got sucked into the rhythm and lyrics that accompanied them. 

My amazement lies in learning that Through the Wire was sung while Kanye had an actual wire in his mouth after a car accident. It’s found in understanding why we can’t uncover Kanye’s words for the last 4 minutes of Runaway. Within months, that spot for #1 artist was given to Kanye, and Drake now took second place. 

My issue with this debate is the comparison that is being made. By saying I choose Kanye, it sounds like I’m setting aside Drake’s work, and that’s not the case at all. There is strength in Ye’s discography that, in my opinion, would be better off compared to rappers like Eminem, Jay Z, or some of the more classic/ older rappers. While Kendrick Lamar definitely has that “artistic” music style that Ye has, I still feel like comparing him to Drake is more fair considering his discography range and level of fame. Another individual who I think is a fair comparison for Drake is J-Cole. 

To sum it up y’all, Ye is objectively better, but Drake is a legend in my book too. So, who are you rocking with- Aubrey or Ye?

Hey lovely readers, it's Sasha here! I am a freshman this year majoring in Economics and Political Science. Writing has always been my biggest passion, and I am thrilled to work with my other gal pals to show y'all what the ladies at HerCampus are all about.