This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

My trip to the Philippines started with 20 hours of flying, not including layers. To many people, that may not sound like fun. But I actually enjoy international flights and I think they are so much fun. On my flight, I was able to watch Avengers: Endgame, Mamma Mia 2, Love Rosie, and Instant Family. Plus, A LOT of sleep. A special feature of my trip is that I was able to see more of the Philippines, not just the area where my family lives.

Baguio

The first place I visited was Baguio. Baguio is located in the northern part of the Philippines and is famous for their beautiful views and cooler weather. It is a prime place to visit during the summer to cool down from the very hot and humid weather that takes place in the other places of the Philippines.

Photo courtesy of Mia Borja

Coron

The Philippines is known for their many, amazing islands. There was no way I was going to visit the Philippines without going to one of them. In Coron I was able to tour the whole island, which included a visit to a hot springs, a couple of local places and a 700+ steps up to see a 360 view of Coron. I was very exhausted after, but it was totally worth it. I also was able to go island hopping to see the must-see destinations of Coron: Twin Lagoons, Kayangan lake, Skelton Wreck to see a WWII sunken ship, and many snorkeling locations. The water and views were breathtaking. I definitely recommend this place to anyone who is traveling to the Philippines.

Photo courtesy of Mia Borja

Photo courtesy of Mia Borja  

Family – Boodle fight

My favorite part about going to the Philippines, is seeing my family members who live there and being surrounded by the culture. One of the famous traditions in the Philippines is called a Boodle fight. According to yummy.ph, Boodle Fights started as the military way of eating and has shifted to a traditional way to eat with all your friends and families. This summer, I was able to experience it for the first time. Basically, banana leaves are laid out across a long table, and different foods are placed on top of these leaves. Then, the family members and friends just gather around and eat dinner in that set up.

The Philippines is always going to be my second home and favorite place to visit. I’ll always look forward to going back and visiting family and the culture around.

I am a Senior at the University of South Florida majoring in Communication and on a pre-med track. I love Taylor Swift, going to concerts, and all things Disney.
Hey! My name is Leticia and I am the Campus Correspondents here at USF. I am graduating in MAY (omg) with a degree in Advertising and PR. I am originally from Brazil, needless to say, I LOVE the beach and being outside! I enjoy everything from make-up to fitness and sports. In my free time you can find me thrifting, playing photographer, or at home with my hubby binging Netflix.