MUSIC MONDAY: Lana Del Rey Delivers True Paradise

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Lana Del Rey has gathered plenty of notoriety since she released her debut album Born to Die at the beginning of this year. Critics were quick to rip Del Rey a part after her not-so-popular Saturday Night Live performance. It seemed like the music industry was just not impressed with Born to Die. There’s no denying that as many bad reviews as the album received, people could just not seem to peel their eyes away from the songstress. Gaining fandom from several big celebrities and possessing an unconditional dedicated fan base, Born to Die went on to sell millions of copies. It seemed there was in fact a huge niche audience who was appreciative of broken love songs in the style of sultry vocals that seem as if they would be sung in a modern speakeasy.

After canceling her tour to promote Born to Die, Del Rey created buzz stating that she’d re-release her debut album with more tracks. Critics and fans everywhere anxiously awaited for leaked songs until the sophomore album Paradise was released. Needless to say, critics jaws dropped a little lower and fans were more than satisfied.

Weeks before Paradise was released, Del Rey released the first single, “Ride,” along with a ten minute music video. An intricate storyline, glamorizing the freedom that comes with life on the road, the single was the perfect sample of Paradise. The music video demonstrated her signature poetic lyrics and striking videography. “Ride” is the opening track on Paradise, perhaps preparing listeners for a ride to paradise. The standout lines in the song are, “I’m tired of feeling like I’m f****** crazy, I’m tired of driving ’till I see stars in my eyes, I look up to hear myself saying, baby, too much I strive, I just ride.”

The following track “American” has a lullaby like quality musically, utilizing deep drums, hazy strumming of guitar chords and quaint piano. Nothing short of having a beautiful melody, Del Rey makes sure to include some controversy in the track with the line, “get your crystal method on.” This track will be a favorite among anyone crazy about a significant other, in the stage where everything is euphoric.

Cola” is a trip to a lusty desire to the soundtrack of an eclectic orchestra with a hip hop beat. Referring to her reproductive organs tasting like Pepsi Cola, Del Rey seems to really nail the fact she doesn’t care what critics think, she’s confident writing lyrics and has a better handle controlling her vocals.

Blue Velvet” is Del Rey’s take on the classic song. Sucking you into a musical daze, her vocals are striking to the listener. Close your eyes, and you’re reversed back into a 60s era dream.

Gods & Monsters,” cites religious themes and uses drug references, possibly making it a controversial mixing of the two. This album is clearly more directed to satisfying dreams, desire and lust. “No one can take my soul away, I’m living like Jim Morrison. Headed towards a f***** up holiday.”

Any long time fans of the singer will have recognized “Yayo” from previous leaked demos. This song arguably showcases her vocals the best on the album.

Paradise ends with the dreamy track “Bel Air.” “Idol of roses, iconic soul. I know your name. Lead me to war with your brilliant direction.”

Lana Del Rey isn’t going anywhere anytime soon, this album is sure to have transitioned many skeptics into true admirers. The whole album sounds like a complete dream sequence, giving listeners true musical paradise.

Photo Sources:

http://karlismyunkle.files.wor…

http://cdn4.pitchfork.com/news…

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Zg0W…

Ashley is a Chapter Advisor and currently living in Brooklyn, New York.