This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

In case you didn’t know, Katy Perry just released her newest album PRISM. If you’re expecting the sounds of California Girls and I Kissed a Girl, then you are in the wrong place. PRISM is a more grown up sound for the songbird and I definitely like it. Almost every song is worth listening to on this album and I’m here to tell you what my top favorite songs are so far.

Unless you haven’t been listening to the radio in the past few months, you should know the first single off the album, Roar. This song has a women empowerment type feel to it and is the perfect song to get into the feel that PRISM has to offer. With lyrics like “I got the eye of the tiger, a fighter, dancing through the fire. Cause I am a champion and you’re gonna hear me roar…” It’s hard to not feel empowered. This song is perfect for any time of day, whether you’re getting ready for school or you’re driving in your car.

The next song I’m a huge fan of is the second single off the album Unconditionally. Perry has described this song as her favorite from the album and it’s easy to see why. The sound is more of an electronic ballad but it works well with the lyrics. The theme of the song is basically her pouring her heart out saying she will love her partner with no strings attached. She sings at one point “I’ll take your bad days with your good, Walk through the storm I would. I do it all because I love you…” It’s believed that the song is about current boyfriend John Mayer, which just makes their relationship even cuter. This song is one that can be on repeat all day and you won’t get sick of it, I can guarantee it.

One of my favorite songs, By the Grace of God, talks about how she got through her divorce with ex-husband, Russell Brand. This piano ballad explains the depression she went through and how she was able to move on from it. The song has more of a defiant and inspiring message. Some of the lyrics from the chorus say “I put one foot in front of the other, And I looked in the mirror and decided to stay. Wasn’t gonna let love take me out that way.” This song is probably one of the most important songs in the whole album because it ultimately tells listeners what mindset Perry was in when she created this album.

Another one of my favorites is Love Me, similar to the lyrics of Unconditionally, the singer talks more about her side of love. She sings “I found I had to love myself the way I wanted you to love me…” This is another upbeat song that shows Perry’s triumph over ex Russell Brand. The song sends a good message about not letting insecurities get the best of you. And Perry is most certainly right that you should love yourself first before you love anyone else. If you’re feeling a lovey dovey song then this is a good place to start but it definitely helps tie the whole album together.

These are just a few of my favorite songs from PRISM. There are 13 songs on the regular album and 16 on the deluxe edition. I would recommend finding the album on Spotify and hitting play and just listening to it while you’re doing homework or getting ready to go out for the night. You’ll definitely find a different sound from Perry’s previous albums but it’s a sound worth listening to. As long as you still have love for Katy Perry in your heart you’ll fall in love with this album with ease. Enjoy!

PHOTO SOURCE:http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop-shop/5800692/katy-perry-goes-full-geisha-for-unconditionally-at-amas-watch

Justine is a recent graduate of the University of South Florida. She received her B.A. in mass communcations in spring 2014. She was the 2013-2014 Campus Correspondent for Her Campus USF.She was also a News & Feature Writing Intern for College of Arts and Sciences and the Public Relations Campus Rep for Rent the Runway at USF. She is currently seeking agency experience and would love to someday work for a magazine, become a novelist, poet, editor, host of a Travel Channel show and much more.  She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, art, literature, pop culture and student life. She spends most days listening to Lana del Rey, calming her nerves with various types of cheese, being sassy and trying to figure out when she can take a nap.Check out her website and portfolio here.She'd love you forever, if you followed her on Twitter @tinafigs_.Contact Justine regarding business inquires only at justinefigueroa@hercampus.com.