MUSIC MONDAY: Happy Birthday, Sex Pistols!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

In the past ten years, music genres such as rap, hip hop, and r&b have increased significantly in both notoriety and popularity, while the good ol’ classics, like hard rock or punk rock, have practically been forgotten. You turn on the radio, or the tv, or even pick up a copy of Rolling Stone magazine, and nine times out of ten you’ll find a rapper, a pop-star, or an overestimated indie artist, and while there’s nothing wrong with those genres, it begs the question… where did punk rock go?

The answer, sadly, I cannot provide, but considering that last month was the 35th anniversary of the Sex Pistols, the band responsible for the start of the punk movement in the UK, the band that inspired every punk and/or alternative rock musician that followed, I can at least persuade you to get on your computer and give their one studio album Never Mind The Bollocks, Here’s The Sex Pistols a thorough listen. A band active only for two years and a half doesn’t achieve legend status without being even just a little awesome.

The opening track of Bollocks, much like the rest of them, is very political. Released in October 1977, “Holidays in the Sun” talks about social injustice, communism, the Berlin wall, and leaves you with a thirst for social change, a longing to make the world the place you think it should be, and enough anger and outrage to let no one stand in your way until you’ve done it.
The next two tracks, “Liar” and “No Feelings”, are less lyrically complex, but anyone who’s ever been lied to can relate to the accusatory, angry tunes of “Liar”. “No Feelings” is a darker, more violent and narcissistic version of Taylor Swift’s catchy radio tune about “never, ever, ever getting back together” with someone. Of course it’s highly unlikely that the fan bases of the Sex Pistols and Taylor Swift overlap, but if you find yourself angry at an ex and thinking they never deserved you, “No Feelings” is the track for you.

Up next is the anthem of every punk rock enthusiast, and most definitely the theme song to every anarchist group since the latter half of the Cold War: “God Save the Queen.” The lyrics drip sarcasm with every line and are a harsh attack on the monarchical institution of the UK, as well as the idea of order, custom, and tradition. “God Save the Queen” is the perfect song for anyone who’s not too happy with their boss, and wants an outlet to vent.

“Seventeen” is a track every college student should have on their playlist—as long as it’s not a study playlist. We may be far from seventeen, but the song talks about the wonderful (and simultaneously horrible) feeling of wanting to do nothing except doing nothing, and procrastinating like the world is full of nothing but an endless supply of tomorrows: both feelings are relatable for anyone who’s ever been to college.

Last but not least in the list of most memorable songs in “Bollocks” is “Anarchy in the U.K.” The title is fairly self-explanatory: the song is meant to shock and outrage its audience, and expose it to an alternative reality in which the veil of conformity is violently ripped from before our eyes and we can finally see that organized government is nothing more than a skilled way to keep the masses submissive and obedient. Whether you agree with their view or not, the Sex Pistols sure did deliver great lyrics and music in this track.

The list can go on and on, because every song in “Bollocks” is worth a listen, but if you’re just looking for a quick browse and not a full-blown trip down memory lane, the songs listed above are your best bet. Pour yourself a shot of hard liquor, press play and let the rebellious tunes flow out of your speakers as you celebrate the anniversary of one of the best punk rock bands that ever existed.

Ashley is a Chapter Advisor and currently living in Brooklyn, New York.