MUSIC MONDAY: 5 Best Kept Indie Secrets

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

They say some secrets are better left untold.  While that can be true sometimes, it’s never true when it comes to really great music.  It’s a shame that some indie artists remain lost in the fray and some achieve overwhelming success.  Though some of these artists are breaking out of their underdog constraints, here are five indie secrets the world needs to hear.

HAIM.  Crossing the sounds of folk, pop and hip-hop doesn’t sound like it computes on paper, but it excels in execution.  The indie-pop trio of California sisters released their debut studio album Days Are Gone in September to positive reviews.  The 11-song set spans genres but creates a cohesive sound.  Such songs as “If I Could Change Your Mind” and “Days Are Gone” are throwbacks to early ‘90s pop and achieve a coolness that Ace of Base never even flirted with.  The album’s most somber moments include the Feist-inspired “Honey & I” and “Let Me Go,” a less-is-more rock ballad that would make Florence & The Machine jealous.  Catch them as the SNL musical guest on Nov. 23.

Smallpools.  Maybe you’ve heard their song “Dreaming” on The Vampire Diaries or you’ve stumbled upon it on iTunes Radio.  The indie-pop/alternative rock band’s self-titled EP dropped in July and their music is sure to be featured in a national television commercial any day now.  Only four songs are featured on the EP but there isn’t a dud among them.  “Mason Jar” jams with pulsing drums and catchy chants, while “No Story Time” enchants with its enormous chorus.  And while we’re at it, we can add “Over & Over” to the canon of “best night ever” youth anthems.  Their sound and lyrical content is a refreshing take on pop music with a welcome indie flare.

Deep Sea Arcade.  Perhaps the most unknown band on this list, Deep Sea Arcade is the most indie and the least likely to impact pop radio.  The Australia natives cater to the fans of music fit for a day by the pool.  A standout track on their 2012 debut album Outlands is the undeniably surf-friendly “Girls.”  The equally beach-worthy “Steam” was played in an episode of 90210.  There is some diversity in their surf-rock sound, like the ‘60s beach pop influenced track “Lonely In Your Arms.”  “Granite City” will keep you from falling asleep in the sun, but “Together” might have you floating forever.

Best Coast.  Like Deep Sea Arcade, Best Coast shapes their sound with surf pop influences.  The Los Angeles-based indie rock duo has been around since the 2010 release of their debut album Crazy for You.  Success and acclaim found them early on with their music being featured on TV shows and Drew Barrymore directing the music video for their single “Our Deal.”  Since, they have released the 2012 follow-up The Only Place and an EP this year.  On their new EP Fade Away, the band experiments with a harder rock sound with “This Lonely Morning” and “I Wanna Know.”  Best Coast induces nostalgia, whether for the easy days of summer or the angst-rock of the ‘90s with Fade Away.

Surfer Blood.  The indie rock band signed a record deal with Warner Bros. prior to the release of their latest album Pythons.  Before signing the major deal, the band was indie through and through.  They formed in West Palm Beach and released their debut album Astro Coast in 2010.  Surfer Blood has gotten their name out there with a performance on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon and a song featured in 90210.  Their sound has evolved from the surf rock of “Floating Vibes” to the tighter rock sound of “Gravity.”  Pythons packs a consistent punch of pulsating standouts like “Squeezing Blood,” “Blair Witch” and “Prom Song.” 

May these artists be indie secrets no more.  All of their music is available to stream on Spotify and to download on iTunes.

PHOTO CREDIT:                                                                                             

www.haimtheband.com

Justine is a recent graduate of the University of South Florida. She received her B.A. in mass communcations in spring 2014. She was the 2013-2014 Campus Correspondent for Her Campus USF.She was also a News & Feature Writing Intern for College of Arts and Sciences and the Public Relations Campus Rep for Rent the Runway at USF. She is currently seeking agency experience and would love to someday work for a magazine, become a novelist, poet, editor, host of a Travel Channel show and much more.  She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, art, literature, pop culture and student life. She spends most days listening to Lana del Rey, calming her nerves with various types of cheese, being sassy and trying to figure out when she can take a nap.Check out her website and portfolio here.She'd love you forever, if you followed her on Twitter @tinafigs_.Contact Justine regarding business inquires only at justinefigueroa@hercampus.com.