From the mouth of a museum nerd: museums at and near USF

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Hello, my name is Daylina and I am a museum nerd.

It’s true. I can admit it. While other college girls at the University of South Florida and across the country were tanning on beaches during spring break, I was stopping at museums up the east coast on the way to visit family in Tennessee in Pennsylvania.

…but YOU don’t need to go out of state to check out museums. Here are a few in Tampa, one on campus, one across the street from campus and the rest all within easy driving distance of USF:

1. Museum of Science and Industry: Better known as MOSI, this museum is right across the street from our beloved university and has a sweet IMAX theatre.  General admission is only $20.95 and includes the galleries and a standard IMAX film
  2. Henry B. Plant Museum: If you’re a fan of the Victorian era, this is the museum for you. Housed in a section of the University of Tampa downtown, formerly 1891 Tampa Bay Hotel, exhibits include Victorian Valentines, period furniture and décor. Admission varies, depending on what events are being hosted.
  3. Florida Museum of Photographic Arts: If you’re a photographer or into the art of capturing lives on film (or digitally, these days) you need to check this out.  The entrance fee is a suggested $4 donation.
  4. Tampa Museum of Art: Art geeks unite! Check out the events they’re always changing up and student admission is only $5.
  5. USF Contemporary Art Museum: located right on campus and is FREE to visit. Whether you’re an art buff or not, you’d be silly to pass up visiting before you graduate.
  6. Tampa Bay History Center: a history and heritage museum and research library in downtown Tampa that includes regional history, archeology, multicultural heritage and special exhibits about Florida and U.S. history, archeology, antiques and collectibles. Student admission is $10 with an ID.
  7. Ybor City Museum: Before you up to Centro Ybor for a night of clubbing, make sure you drop in the museum that showcases Ybor City as a historic district. This museum complex includes an ornamental garden and three restored cigar worker’s houses. Admission is $4.

Daylina Miller is a senior at the University of South Florida studying multimedia journalism and psychology and anticipates graduating spring 2012. She is a member of the national and USF chapter of The Society of Professional Journalists, Bull Bikers' Association, and the Heavy Metal Enthusiasts Club. She currently writes news features for USF's website and is an avid blogger. Her interests include traveling, writing, tarot, paranormal research and photography. She recently enjoyed a travel/study tour to London and various cities in Ireland and plans on backpacking through Europe after graduation. Being a mermaid didn't pan out and paranormal research won't pay her bills so her ultimate goal is to report for a well-respected daily newspaper or magazine as a multimedia journalist.