megan thee stallion?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
megan thee stallion?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
NBC

Megan Thee Stallion Deserves Better

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

On November 4th, Drake and 21 Savage released a collaborative album called, “Her Loss.” Many rap fans have long awaited Drake’s new album and were excited to learn that 21 Savage was coming to collaborate on new music. However, rightfully so, some people questioned lyrics on a song titled, “Circo Loco.” In this song, Megan Thee Stallion was accused of lying about getting shot.

In May 2020, Megan Thee Stallion was shot in the foot by Tory Lanez following a pool party at Kylie Jenner’s fight. It was claimed that they were in an argument starting about her wanting to leave the party early and when she stepped out of the car, he shot her in the foot from the back window.

When this happened, some people didn’t believe Megan and some people made a complete joke of the situation. Rap fans were posting memes and making jokes about Tory shooting her; it got really out of hand. 

Fast forward to now, in their newest song, Drake and 21 Savage stated, “This b*tch lie ‘bout getting shot but she still a stallion.” This line not only accuses Megan of lying but also undermines her completely. I, along with many others, think this is disrespectful to not only not believe a victim but to also make a rap out of this serious situation.

Megan constantly has to defend herself as a victim. She has proof of her shooting and yet as a black woman, she is still not being protected. Black women continuously have to prove and protect themselves and it’s disgusting that a mockery is being made of her situation.

Making lyrics about violence towards a Black woman is not okay in any circumstance. It’s especially hypocritical when in any other situation, violence towards any other music artist is taken very seriously. If she were a man, the hip-hop community would’ve discussed it completely differently. 

Megan Thee Stallion and Black women everywhere don’t deserve to be constantly discredited and abused. More people need to be standing with Black women and advocating for their protection. In the media and in reality, Black women are constantly put at a disadvantage and always treated much differently than everyone else. Society needs to stop letting this type of disrespect slide. Black women need to be protected and it’s time for the jokes to end. 

Hi everyone! My name is Alexis McDonald, my pronouns are she/her/hers, and I'm currently double majoring in English and Political Science at USF. I'm also the Social Media Director for our chapter! I love reading, thrifting, and tea drinking! I enjoy writing about mental health, activism, and astrology! I have enjoyed writing since I was young and have grown to have a passion for it ever since.