Meet A Her Campus Member: Joycelyn Alleyne

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Meet Her Campus member, Joycelyn Alleyne. She is a junior at USF and the new Her Campus USF Event Coordinator. Learn more about her below!

Her Campus: Why did you join Her Campus? What do you like about it?

Joycelyn Alleyne: I joined Her Campus because I wanted to join an organization that aimed to empower women and educate the public. Not only does Her Campus do this, but it also entertains by having articles on fashion and love, among other things. I’m a hopeless romantic so that’s right up my alley! I also like that Her Campus is aiming to be more present on campus and to have a greater impact on student life and I wanted to be able to be a part of this movement.

HC: What’s your major and year at USF? What do you want to do with that when you graduate?

JA: I’m currently a junior double majoring in marketing and management with a minor in leadership studies. It’s a mouthful to say sometimes. I can’t say I’m exactly sure about what I want to do, but I can tell you what I’m passionate about. In the long term, I want to work with non-profits, mainly those geared towards cancer since that’s close to my heart. However, I want to work with event management and possibly hospitality. Sometimes I even think about public relations. There is just too much that I want to do!

HC: Where are you from and do you like your hometown?

JA: Well, I was born in Venezuela and I lived there for seven years before I moved to Barbados. I guess since I spent most of my life in Barbados, I consider that my “hometown” plus I have not been to Venezuela in roughly six years. Nonetheless, let me just say that I love both places! They are both very different; Venezuela is more city life and fast-paced where as Barbados is a very laid-back place to be. Barbados is “sweet for days.” The countdown till December is on!

HC: What is your favorite class you’ve taken at USF?

JA: Surprisingly it was Introduction to Philosophy. I’m not a big reader and I genuinely enjoyed reading everything I had to for that class. The topics were very interesting and I loved the discussions we would have in class. I even enjoyed writing the papers, as I got lost in my own thoughts and “what if’s.” I’d recommend that class to everyone!

HC: What is your favorite spot at USF? Why?

JA: I’d say I have two “favorite” spots here. I love behind the library just because it’s so pretty to look at and it’s so central! I also like in front of the Engineering building. There’s a little passage with rocks of different sizes and a nice small bench under a tree.

HC: What is your favorite quote?

JA: This is a hard one! I love quotes. But the one that is coming to mind right now is, “People are often unreasonable and self-centered. Forgive them anyway. If you are kind, people may accuse you of ulterior motives. Be kind anyway. If you are honest, people may cheat you. Be honest anyway. If you find happiness, people may be jealous. Be happy anyway. The good you do today may be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway. Give the world the best your have, and it may never be enough. Give your best anyway.”

HC: What do you turn to for inspiration?

JA: Honestly, a little bit of everything inspires me. My family inspires me; my friends inspire me and sometimes even random people I speak to or observe inspire me.

HC: What advice do you have for incoming freshman?

JA: Don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone! Talk to people who you normally would not talk to. Go to places that you normally wouldn’t go to. Definitely get involved on campus. There are so many organizations; there WILL be something for you! Join something that you are passionate about and also something that is related to what you want to do with your life. Have a blast and make amazing memories, but do not forget that you are here for an education. Pretty much work hard and play hard!

HC: Who’s your role model?

JA: I’d have to say my mother just because she truly defines strength and perseverance. I could only hope to be as strong and hard-working as her one day.

HC: Where is one place you would like to travel?

JA: The world! I hope to one-day see everywhere or most places in this world. If I had to say one place, it would be Egypt. I’d normally say something like France or Italy, but I’ll be around that area this summer for Study Abroad so hopefully I manage to see the main places I’ve always wanted to see!

Kareika Wharton
Lover of all things Disney, Star Wars, Marvel, Harry Potter and fashion. Junior. Mass Communication major. Disney Cast member. Aspiring writer.