absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Meal Prepping: The Good, The Bad, and The Unexpected

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

For me personally, every semester starts with a variety of hopes to what I can accomplish for both my body and my mind. I always load my schedule up with classes and fill my fridge with vegetables with the hope that I can ride the healthy wave all the way to finals, or at least midterms. Of course, that is not always the case. So far, one out of three semesters I have spent at USF has gone somewhat like I planned it. What I have to thank for that is meal prep.  

So what is meal prepping? It is a form of art. Seriously, meal prepping is when one prepares the food one plans to consume a week in advance so that one can enjoy home-cooked meals without having to cook every day. It is perfect for those of us who want to eat clean but do not have time in our busy schedules to spend an hour every day cooking; however, just like with anything, meal prepping has their ups and downs.

Image courtesy of liveeatlearn.com

The Good

Meal prepping allows you to eat clean by giving you a chance to plan your meals out. It also limits your time in the kitchen allowing you to focus on important things, like your education. Meal prepping is also budget friendly and can save you a lot of money in the long run. You also get a sense of balance about knowing exactly what exactly is in your food. Finally, unlike frozen meals, you do not have any preservatives, unless you chose to add some, and unlike cafeteria food, it is made by you for you, so you can always specialize it. Add more bacon!

Image courtesy of Nataliya Kuzmin 

The Bad

Meal prepping gets tedious after the first month. It also takes time to plan and budge so many meals. On top of that, by Friday you really do not want to eat what you made on Sunday, especially if it has avocados or eggs. I learned that the hard way. It takes time away from lazy Sundays and does not always guarantee delicious meals. If you choose to experiment in the kitchen and you do not like what you crafted you are pretty screwed for the rest of the week. Also, some meal prepping containers are so tiny that they do not truly fill you up, which leads to snaking. In short, eating clean does not always mean losing weight.   

Photo courtesy of Nataliya Kuzmin

The Unexpected

As I enter my fourth month of meal prepping I can proudly say that I have never felt so comfortable in the kitchen. In my numerous attempts to spice up my meals, I have learned how to make curry from scratch and even my own bread! I also feel better because I can proudly say that other than the occasional cheat day I know where and how all of what goes into my body is made. Lastly, I am familiar with my neighborhood grocery store and farmer’s market which makes me more involved in my community.   

Photo courtesy of Nataliya Kuzmin

In conclusion, after reading about my experience do what is right for you to succeed and become the best self you can be. 

I am a 19-year-old student majoring in Psychology and World languages on the Pre-medical track. Writing has been a passion of mine ever since I moved to America eight years ago. My other hobbies include pageantry, I just crowned the new reigning Miss Teen Palm Beach America, and cooking. A fun fact about me is that I speak three languages fluently (Russian, Hebrew, and English) and I am a Wiccan. My background inspires my writing and plays a role in my approaches to certain topics.
Interests include but are not limited to: art, history, astrology, skin care, the french, politics (yikes), frank ocean, controversy and being extremely overdramatic.