This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Over the last few weeks, I’ve noticed a surge of appreciation for The Hunger Games series. This is due to the series being put on Netflix coinciding with many people’s spring breaks, a perfect, nostalgia-fueled concoction. As someone who spent most of my tweenage years being obsessed with the dystopian future of Panem, I am enjoying this revival. I was very shocked when I was scrolling through TikTok and had THG content pop up on my feed, with fan edits being made (and me being made to feel super old as I see this new generation of fans). 

The story of The Hunger Games is still as engaging as it was when it was first released, highlighting the power of great storytelling. Something I didn’t realize as I rewatched these movies (and soon to reread the books when I have the time), was how emotional they made me, now being older than the main characters. It makes the message of the story even more effective, seeing the inhumane punishments that occur in this dystopian society. I cannot wait to reread it as someone now in my twenties, seeing how many things I missed when I originally read the series as a child. 

As The Hunger Games becomes popular again, we will soon see another addition in the series. This upcoming November, a prequel movie is coming out, The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes. This entry in the series focuses on President Snow’s youth, and what led him to become a cruel tyrant. The novel has been out for a few years now and I recommend all to read it, being an interesting backstory to not only Snow, but the games themselves. 

Overall, this rise of The Hunger Games fandom has been amazing to see, albeit a bit odd, making me realize that my obsession with the series was a decade ago. This series being back on Netflix till the end of the month is the perfect time to rewatch, or watch for the first time! Get ready for the new movie coming out this fall. 

Hi! My name is Penelope, but everyone calls me Penny. I am an undergraduate student at the University of South Florida majoring in marketing and integrated PR and advertising. I'm a proud, communicative Gemini, who is excited to share on Her Campus! Some of my interests include watching movies (I consider myself an 80's movie aficionado), listening to music, going to concerts, and following hockey.