Mastering the Perfect Eyelashes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Don’t we all just love false lashes? They pull the whole look together and add some drama for the eyes. But they can really be a pain. Making sure they are cut to the right length is one thing, getting them to stay on through the night (or even day) is another thing. Luckily, you can bring the same drama and beauty to any eye look, sans falsies, by following these few steps.

1.     The tools

The only things you need are your two favorite mascaras and some dark eyeshadow or eyeliner. Try to choose one mascara that has a dryer formula and a brush whose bristles are short and spread out evenly on a cylindrical head, like a hair comb. This will really separate your lashes and build volume. The second mascara should be a wetter formula and have thicker bristles on the brush, preferably with a curved head. This will darken and thicken the lashes.

2.     The process

a.    Begin by lining your upper lash line with a dark eyeshadow. Stay close to the lashes and avoid getting the shadow on the lid.(you can do this on any eyeshadow look). The idea is to make the lashes look thicker by basically creating a “shadow” at the base of the lashes.

b.    Blend out the shadow so that there are not any harsh lines. If you want, you can also line your lashes with a liquid or gel liner on top of this.

c.     Time for mascara! Start with the volumizing mascara, or mascara number one, place the head of the brush at the base of the lashes and gently wiggle and brush through the lashes. After a few coats, switch mascaras and do the same thing. Then finish with the first mascara. Do this relatively fast so your lashes don’t completely dry, otherwise the look can get clumpy.

3.     You’re ready to conquer the world!

Sydjea Watson is from the beautiful island of Jamaica. She graduated from the University of South Florida with a bachelor's degree in mass communications. Sydjea has a passion and great appreciation for the arts. She currently works as a freelance photographer while pursuing a photography certification at Rhode Island School of Design.