bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Living a Healthy Lifestyle for 2019

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

As the year begins its course, many of us are bombarded with the pressure to make 2019 the start to living a healthy life. Becoming ‘healthy’ is a broad sense for the idea that eating a moderately clean diet and exercising regularly will lead to positive body and life changes; however, common new year’s resolutions to hit the gym a few times a week or reduce soda intake, are often unsuccessful in the long run; therefore, here are some tips to make these 2019 lifestyle changes permanent instead of temporary.

Photo courtesy of Shape Magazine

Make yourself a plan

Photo courtesy of Forbes

The best way to set yourself up for success is to map out a plan. The best goals are the small ones that are attainable little by little. Of course, it is great to have one overall goal, but by dividing it into smaller, more easily achievable goals will fuel your motivation. It is proven that if you slowly integrate yourself by starting to go to the gym a few times a week, you are more likely to stick to it. Figure out the days you would like to work out and certain foods you should start introducing or eliminating. After all, slow and steady wins the race.

Eliminate certain foods

Photo courtesy of Body + Soul

Unfortunately, foods such as soda, burgers, candy, and chips are convenient in plentiful amounts; however, drinking a can of Coca-Cola is not something that should be part of your daily routine. By eliminating certain foods, or emphasis on certain but not all, you can start to feel healthier. For example, replacing sugary store-bought lemonades with water with lemon slices can make a huge difference. Do not go overboard because it is about sustainable long- term results. This is not the quickest way to lose weight.

Find a workout buddy

Photo courtesy of Self.com

Finding someone to share this journey to leading a healthy lifestyle keeps you more accountable. Whether it be someone to schedule cycling classes with, or meal prepping on a Sunday night, making this life change can be fun with a friend. It also becomes very easy to decide against going to work out or impulsively going to eat fast food. A friend to join in the journey will motivate you and will pick you up when you feel down.

Take before and after photos

This point might sound a tad ridiculous, but the scale is not the only way to measure progress. Changing your habits to more healthy and conscious decisions is no longer about how much you weigh, rather it is about how much energy you have, and how you feel. A scale cannot measure any of those things. Before and after photos show you the day to day changes your body is undergoing. The photos should be taken of you in the front, the back, and the sides. These views of your progress will be both motivating and reassuring.

Photo courtesy of iStock 

On a final note, getting fit and eating healthy is not temporary, but a lifelong commitment. We all have to start somewhere and no matter what your reason for starting is, what matters is that you take the first step, and the first step is always the most difficult.

Good luck to all my readers whose new year’s resolution is to live a healthier life. Work hard, do not give up, and believe in yourself.

I am from Miami, Florida and in my senior year at the University of South Florida. I am a member of Delta Delta Delta international sorority. I work at a barre, yoga, cycle studio so you can always catch me exercising in one way or another! I love Her Campus because it grants me the freedom to write about what I am passionate about.
Interests include but are not limited to: art, history, astrology, skin care, the french, politics (yikes), frank ocean, controversy and being extremely overdramatic.