Jeannese Castro- giving back to her old neighborhood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Jeannese Castro pulled up her electric blue Toyota Yaris to the chain-link fencing bumping against the property at Mann-Wagnon Park in the heart of Sulphur Springs. As soon as she put it into park, several energetic girls scrambled out, talking and playfully shoving each other as they walked up to the entrance to the Moses House.

Here, kids in the community come after school for tutoring sessions, art workshops and just to hang out, an alternative to hanging out on the streets of one of Tampa’s most impoverished neighborhoods. The kids are sweet and smart, volunteers at Moses House always say, but rough around the edges.

Castro is here to give them a role model, an adopted sister and a friend.

“These kids go from house to house and most of the time grandparents are raising them and they have to grow up fast,” Castro said. “So for them to have an older mentor is good, and I feel like I’ve been a positive role model for these girls. I love working with the kids.”

Read the rest at USF.edu

*Editor’s Note- Daylina has struggled with strep throat this week and her writers have been a little busy with end of the term projects so here is a oldie but goodie student profile from the end of last semester that she had published on the university website.

Daylina Miller is a senior at the University of South Florida studying multimedia journalism and psychology and anticipates graduating spring 2012. She is a member of the national and USF chapter of The Society of Professional Journalists, Bull Bikers' Association, and the Heavy Metal Enthusiasts Club. She currently writes news features for USF's website and is an avid blogger. Her interests include traveling, writing, tarot, paranormal research and photography. She recently enjoyed a travel/study tour to London and various cities in Ireland and plans on backpacking through Europe after graduation. Being a mermaid didn't pan out and paranormal research won't pay her bills so her ultimate goal is to report for a well-respected daily newspaper or magazine as a multimedia journalist.