I Watched “Teen Wolf: The Movie” (so you don’t have to)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Ah, 2015. My freshman year of high school, lurking Tumblr tags, and spending hours watching Teen Wolf edits on Vine. Like most teenage girls at this time, I was captivated (and still am) by Dylan O’ Brien as Stiles. I have always been a fan of the supernatural genre, loving Harry Potter, Twilight, Vampire Diaries and more, so Teen Wolf was no different. It is a fandom that will stick with me forever, knowing how much joy it brought me to watch these goofy werewolves with tacky SFX makeup. 

Teen Wolf was my favorite show when I was younger, but still I was hesitant when I heard they were making a movie. My least favorite thing about reunion movies or remakes is when you can tell it was only made to make fans feel nostalgic, rather than creating a quality story. 

Unfortunately, Teen Wolf: The Movie was no different. 

While I am not going to give away spoilers for those still waiting to see it, I personally think what happens in the movie shouldn’t be considered canon (or a part of the original storyline). The movie reintroduces characters who died in the original show, confuses its own lore at points, and overall, doesn’t fit the original show. Worst of all, several fan favorites do not return in the movie. 

Overall, I think if you are a fan of the original show, you should watch this if you want to laugh at the ridiculousness of this new entry into the series. It was an enjoyable experience for me, laughing at the cheesiness of the movie and how it made no sense. However, I didn’t go into the movie expecting a great plot, so I was pleased that it made me laugh.  For new viewers, I recommend you start with the show. Season one was awesome.

Hi! My name is Penelope, but everyone calls me Penny. I am an undergraduate student at the University of South Florida majoring in marketing and integrated PR and advertising. I'm a proud, communicative Gemini, who is excited to share on Her Campus! Some of my interests include watching movies (I consider myself an 80's movie aficionado), listening to music, going to concerts, and following hockey.