How to not Kill Your Plants: Dorm Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Houseplants are one of the best ways to liven up your space. Unfortunately, many of us (including myself) do not have a natural green thumb. Losing a plant is not only sad, but extremely discouraging. Between “North facing windows” and humidity, keeping plants alive but happy in a dorm situation can be an extremely frustrating process but produce a rewarding turnout. Here are a few tips to help make your plant journey smoother:

Don’t take on more than you can handle

When you live in a dorm, there are so many things you can’t control. You can’t move the window, or you might just find space in your place is scarce. Plants that have complex needs may not be happy, and that’s totally fine. There are so many beautiful plants that are hardy and will thrive in any conditions. Snake plants, aloe vera, ZZ plants, and many more are great for beginners and will give you the confidence you need to expand your horizons. 

Yellow stems are not the end of the world

I still get terrified when I see my plants have one yellow leaf or stem. Plants are awesome communicators, and yellowing leaves just mean they need an adjustment whether its watering, light levels, or infection. There is still time to save your plant, sometimes with an easy fix such as moving it into more direct light. 

Make sure your pots have drainage

It is so frustrating to see that cute decorative pots often have absolutely no drainage. Pots that do not have a hole on the bottom or side do not allow excess water to flow out, which may lead to root-rot. When you’re repotting your plants, make sure their new home will keep them comfortable with proper drainage.

Ask for advice

I am far from a plant expert, and I love asking plant store employees for tips on which plants will live well in my situation or anything related to keeping my plants happy. The USF botanical gardens hosts classes on how to take care of houseplants if you stay close to campus, or just visit another plant store in the Tampa area! If you want to stay at home, websites such as InvincibleHouseplants.com and House Plants Expert offer great tips. 

Hey! My name is Novalee Knepper and I'm from Orlando, Florida. I'm an environmental science major here at USF. I love reading, journaling, thrifting, and bringing home more plants. I hope to one day write for National Geographic as a journalist.