How One Movie is Raising Awareness of Multiple Sclerosis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

100 metros is a movie based on a true story that tells a harrowing journey of a Spanish man with multiple sclerosis that refused to let his circumstances determine his future. Ramon Arroyo, the main character of the film, dedicates himself to finishing “Iron-Man” after his diagnosis and being told by his doctor that he would not be able to walk another 100 meters within a year. The “Iron Man” is a challenge that involves swimming 3.8 kilometers, cycling 180 kilometers and running 42 kilometers.

Prior to his diagnosis, Ramon was a successful businessman raising a family alongside his wife, Inma, who stays by his side regardless of the barriers they faced. In addition to this, Inma’s father Manolo moves in with them to help Ramon overcome his circumstances. Overall, this move combines themes of love, commitment, and family to show that with the support of a community and an intrinsic belief in yourself, you can surpass any obstacle.

In the beginning of the movie, the writers and cinematographers take us through scenes that show how his daily life is impacted by multiple sclerosis. The flare-ups associated with this disease can cause numerous debilitating symptoms, such as fatigue, difficulty walking, numbness or tingling in the extremities, weakness, vision problems and/or blindness, paralysis, muscle stiffness, dizziness, depression, forgetfulness and epilepsy. The writers of the film make us feel as if we are going through Ramon’s journey with him, grieving the loss of his old life and hesitantly welcoming a new one that causes extreme discomfort, fear and uncertainty.

A post shared by boboli (@boboli_fashion) on

In one scene, Ramon speaks with Inma about his condition, and she holds his hand as he vents. He expresses to her that he can no longer feel her hands, and he fears the day in which he would not be able to see the face of his kids, or that of the love of his life again. Moving the audience to tears, we feel the heartbreak of the moment – coming to the realization of just how little control we have over most situations.

At the same time, Inma invites feelings of empowerment as she replies with a statement that invokes hope in all of us. Throughout the film, her father expresses the same sentiments, but less through words, and more through actions as Ramon’s new physical trainer. In the end, after almost a full day of competing in the triathlon, he reached the finish line with his beautiful family by his side, who believed in him all along even when he felt he could no longer believe in himself.

A post shared by Multiple Sclerosis Support (@multiplesclerosishero) on

The story of Ramon Arroyo illustrates that the real Iron Man isn’t a superhero in a man-made suit that gives one secret powers. Rather, it is the ordinary people around us who fight till the end to defeat their inner demons and show how resilient and powerful human nature can truly be.

Iron man is Ramon, who decided that he would not let multiple sclerosis be the end of his life, but the beginning to a vibrant one. Iron man is Manolo, who let go of his ego, pride and personal feelings about his daughter’s husband in order to help Ramon regain his sense of hope and develop a beautiful relationship with him. Iron man is Inma, a force to be reckoned with – an eloquent woman who refused to lose hope and always gifted her family with the love and strength they needed to survive their tribulations. Iron man is us, the regular people devoted to supporting each other and creating a more compassionate world. My sincerest apologies to Robert Downey Jr, but the Arroyos won here.

Medina Karagic is a Tampa Bay writer, photographer, and spoken word poet who transforms trials and tribulations into art. Her work moves others to discover solace in introspection and the vulnerability of the human experience. Owner of élan vital photography: https://www.elanvital.photography/
Hey! My name is Leticia and I am the Campus Correspondents here at USF. I am graduating in MAY (omg) with a degree in Advertising and PR. I am originally from Brazil, needless to say, I LOVE the beach and being outside! I enjoy everything from make-up to fitness and sports. In my free time you can find me thrifting, playing photographer, or at home with my hubby binging Netflix.