This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

The outbreak of COVID-19 has changed our lives in so many ways, but one that is often overlooked is the environmental impact that the virus has had. The recent fires in California have put the spotlight back on the climate crisis we have been experiencing for the past 20 years. However, there are also new financial constraints that have arisen for many people since the pandemic first began; people just can’t afford to put the environment first.

person planting a green plant
Photo by Rommel Diaz from Pixabay

Here are some ways to be sustainable without breaking the bank:

Reusable Bags

Reusable bags are one of the easiest ways to cut down on plastic use. Not only are they relatively inexpensive, but they are also washable. Pop them in the wash along with your masks at the end of the week!

Use Bar Soaps

Bar soaps are an excellent alternative to liquid soaps (both hand and body). For one, they tend to be less expensive than their liquid counterparts. Bar soaps also are effective at removing surface debris through the friction caused by rubbing your hands against the bar. Additionally, bar soap packaging is more environmentally friendly, using less plastic as they often come in paper boxes. Support a local soap maker today!

Composting

Composting is one of the easiest and most rewarding ways to be sustainable because it involves materials you already use. Additionally, there are many blogs, Instagram accounts, and Pinterest boards that can help inspire you to make the most of your composting journey.

Reusable Straws

Since the outbreak of COVID-19, most coffee shops have declined reusable cups for hygiene purposes. However, using paper or metal straws can still help reduce your carbon footprint.

Finally, one of the best ways to be eco-friendly on a budget is to support local sustainable businesses. A large percentage of waste is produced by large corporations and in environmental instances, it is extremely important to vote with your wallet as much as possible.

USF Senior WUSF Social Media Intern Candy Corn Enthusiast
Hello! My name is Cassie! I am a public relations and advertising student at the University of South Florida with a minor in leadership studies. I love digital art and finding new ways to empower women via the internet!