From the homepage February 1-14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Happy Valentine’s Day, collegiettes™!!!

In honor of all the things we love, check out the new content from USF.edu, the homepage of your beloved university!

The Story Behind Valentine’s Day– why are the origins of this famous Hallmark holiday so sketchy? Check out this explanation about Saint Valentine from assistant professor of history, Jule Langford.

USF Sustainability Finds Gold– The University of South Florida has become one of a small number of universities nationwide whose efforts to build an environmentally-conscious campus and advance sustainability efforts through cutting-edge research have earned a “gold” rating from the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education, the nation’s leading advocacy group for the green campus movement. Check out some of the programs USF offers here!

Steinways in the House– With these pianos, the USF School of Music is another step closer to a Steinway School designation. Each piano takes more than a year to make. When the new building officially opens, it will have 87 Steinways, worth about $3.4 million. Check out the video!

Campus MovieFest Comes to USF–  Emily Wilson’s older sister, Sarah, won the international finale with her short film “Rhapsody” Check out what Emily has to say about her decision to produce a film this year and what CMF is really all about.

Daylina Miller is a senior at the University of South Florida studying multimedia journalism and psychology and anticipates graduating spring 2012. She is a member of the national and USF chapter of The Society of Professional Journalists, Bull Bikers' Association, and the Heavy Metal Enthusiasts Club. She currently writes news features for USF's website and is an avid blogger. Her interests include traveling, writing, tarot, paranormal research and photography. She recently enjoyed a travel/study tour to London and various cities in Ireland and plans on backpacking through Europe after graduation. Being a mermaid didn't pan out and paranormal research won't pay her bills so her ultimate goal is to report for a well-respected daily newspaper or magazine as a multimedia journalist.