Hispanic Heritage Month: Where to Celebrate in Tampa Bay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

National Hispanic Heritage Month in the United States began on September 15th and runs through October 15th, 2018. This month is dedicated to generations of Hispanic Americans who have contributed greatly in all aspects of America, from cultural to economic contributions.

Tampa Bay is fortunate to have a wide array of cultures and heritages influencing the melting pot city we call home. Hispanic Americans make up a large portion of our society, so make sure to go out and celebrate this month!

To help you get involved in the festivities, below is the top 3 best places to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month in Tampa Bay:

ViVa Tampa Bay Hispanic Heritage Festival 2018

Photo courtesy of Viva Tampa Bay

This year’s Viva Tampa Bay Hispanic Heritage month will be taking place on October 7th in Centennial Park in Ybor City. For only $5 admission you can get in the gates and drink free beer, provided you bring your ID. This close-by event is being put on by the city of Ybor to honor those Hispanic Americans who have helped to shape the city into the cultural hub it is now. There will be vendors, live music, and dance exhibitions!

Clearwater’s Maxima Concerto Herencia Hispana

Photo courtesy of myclearwater.com

This year’s Maxima Concerto Herencia Hispana will take place in Coachman Park in Clearwater over a two-day span starting October 13th. The cost for a single day ticket is $25, or get both days for $40. This event features Hispanic artists such as Gente de Zona and Olga Tanon. The two day lineup will be a great place to enjoy classic Hispanic music and spend a couple days soaking up the sun!

Going Dormant Art Gallery

Photo courtesy of Edgar Sanchez

For a more mellow way to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month, Hillsborough Community College’s Ybor campus is featuring an art gallery by Edgar Sanchez Cumbas called Going Dormant. The HCC Ybor Art Gallery is open to the public for no charge, making it great for those on a budget. The exhibit will be open through October 25th, so make sure you stop by! Cumbas is a local Hispanic artist and HCC alumni whose work seeks to twist what we know with what we do not know, and examine what may lie behind our initial cognition.

USF '19
Interests include but are not limited to: art, history, astrology, skin care, the french, politics (yikes), frank ocean, controversy and being extremely overdramatic.