This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

As the final season of the beloved HBO fantasy series beings to air, many loyal fans (myself included) are researching and developing theories regarding the main characters on the show and who we think is going to end up on the Iron Throne. Many fans speculate that the characters they have come to know and love for eight seasons might not receive as happy of an ending as they would hope. In this article, I will highlight the most popular theories of how the show might end and how the characters might meet their fate in the final season.

Photo courtesy of The Wrap

Theory #1: Daenerys Targaryen and the Mad King

Daenerys Targaryen’s father was referred to as the “Mad King” during his time as ruler of the Seven Kingdoms. Many fans have speculated that by the time the show ends, the Mother of Dragons will follow in her father’s footsteps and be consumed by madness, ultimately leading to her demise. With Dany burning the Tarly’s because they would not bend the knee and recognize her as their queen, I am a little bit worried that this is the route the show might take. Although I do think that this fate for the world’s favorite Targaryen is possible, I feel that the writers would have introduced some hints to this outcome significantly earlier on in the seasons prior if this were to be her fate.

Theory #2: Jon Snow and the Iron Throne

Due to the recent revelation of Jon Snow being Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark’s child (with his real name being Aegon Targaryen) and not Ned Stark’s son, this theory has a high probability of actually happening. Because of this confirmation of what fans have been speculating for years now, Jon Snow has a better claim to the Iron Throne than Daenerys Targaryen. Additionally, many loyal fans prefer for Jon Snow to end up on the throne so, in my opinion, this is a very likely outcome.

Photo courtesy of Insider

Theory #3: Bran Stark and the Night King

Many fans have theorized that Bran Stark and the Night King are the same entity. This theory first came to fruition on a well-known Game of Thrones YouTube channel and has taken flight since then. To being with, both Bran and the Night King can warg and have greensight. With these abilities, both Bran and the Night King can view the past, present, and future events in their dreams (greensight) and cast themselves into the bodies of people and animals (warg).

Additionally, the Three-Eyed Raven’s Prophecy states that Bran would never walk again but he would fly. Many loyal fans agree that this could potentially be a sign of Bran “flying” through past history and therefore being the one to establish and shape the present reality. Also, Bran is invisible to everyone in the past except for the Night King. The Night King can visibly see Bran and touch him as well, while everyone else in the past cannot.

Lastly, the YouTube channel highlights that since Bran can go into the past and shape the present, it is possible that Bran might go back in time again to the very moment where the Night King was created by the Children of the Forest and try to stop the Night King from ever being created. While this seems like a good idea, many speculate that the Children of the Forest will spot Bran first instead of the First Man that they chose and turn Bran into the Night King instead. Therefore, this would make Bran the Night King. After watching the video that sparked this theory into popularity, I have to say it’s a pretty convincing and solid theory. In terms of it actually happening, I am not sure, but I do think that if this theory were to be confirmed and happen in this manner it would be a pretty fun and interesting plot twist to Bran’s storyline.

Photo courtesy of MTV

Theory #4: Daenerys Targaryen and Childbirth

The theory that Daenerys is now pregnant with Jon’s baby is probably the most popular out of all of the other theories. During the episode titled “The Dragon and the Wolf” in Season 7, Daenerys Targaryen and Jon Snow slept together while flashes of Bran finally discovering Jon Snow’s true lineage where shown in between (proving that Dany and Jon are aunt and nephew, but that is a whole other topic). Fans argue that this very consummation could be the downfall of Daenerys Targaryen. In previous seasons, a maegi (a woman who practices blood magic) named Mirri Maz Duur told Dany a prophecy about childbirth and Dany’s dead husband (Khal Drogo). The prophecy from the book states: “When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east, When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves, When your womb quickens again and you bear a living child, Then he will return, and not before.”

This part of the prophecy leaves Dany to believe that just as Khal Drogo (her dead husband) will never return to her, neither will her ability to have children. But as this is Game of Thrones, anything can happen. Season 7 had countless mentions of Dany and Jon’s relationship as well as the discussion of an heir/the line of succession after Dany takes the Iron Throne. As of Season 8 Episode 1, Dany and Jon are still a strong couple up until the moment when Jon finds out his true lineage (and even then they could continue their relationship who knows). Many fans think that since both Jon’s mother and Dany’s mother died while giving birth, the fact that Dany suffered a dangerous miscarriage, and because of the prophecy that Mirri Maz Duur revealed to her, the fall of Daenerys Targaryen will be childbirth. Because of both the prophecy and the family history of dying during childbirth, many Daenerys loyalists believe that this might be the route in which Dany goes down. Only time will tell.

Rylee Ruth is a Professional Blank Page Repairperson. Ruth graduated from high school in the Spring of 2018 and recently began attending the University of South Florida. Ruth is majoring in Mass Communications and aspires to become a journalist. Ruth resides in Tampa, Florida.
Hey! My name is Leticia and I am the Campus Correspondents here at USF. I am graduating in MAY (omg) with a degree in Advertising and PR. I am originally from Brazil, needless to say, I LOVE the beach and being outside! I enjoy everything from make-up to fitness and sports. In my free time you can find me thrifting, playing photographer, or at home with my hubby binging Netflix.