nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Former Editor-in-Chief of Cosmopolitan, Kate White, Shares Her Secrets to Success

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

For 14 years, Kate White was known as the Editor-in-Chief of the number-one selling monthly magazine, Cosmopolitan. Millions of young women looked forward to reading her “Letter from the Editor” and many of us wanted an even deeper look into her fabulous career and how she got there. Now, Kate White is on a new journey to continue being a New York Time’s best-selling fiction and nonfiction author, career expert, and motivational speaker. Luckily, this means White can now let us in on all of her expert career tips and advice in her new book, I Shouldn’t Be Telling You This: Success Secrets Every Gutsy Girl Should Know!

Generation Y in the workplace!
When it comes to being a part of generation Y, sometimes people may write us off as self-absorbed and lazy. Kate White knows that our generation is an awesome generation filled with powerful women. As the Editor-in-Chief of Cosmopolitan, she worked with our generation on a daily basis! One of the biggest issues that we, as a generation, need to tackle is familiarity in the workplace. White recommends that when working on your career, you put yourself aside and ask, “What do you need to be doing at this moment for your company?” When someone who you work for suggests having a meeting, don’t tell him or her when a good time is for you–ask when the best time for them will be. White tells the story of a day when she decided to take her staff to see “Magic Mike” at the theater (I know, how jealous are you right now?) after work. When she noticed one of the team members didn’t make it to the movie and confronted her later, White was told that her employee was busy. White tells me, “When the Editor-in-Chief tells you she is taking you to a movie because it may be important for people to see, it is not about being busy. Everyone is busy.” When it comes to breaking out of the habits of generation Y remember that to your employer, it is not about what is best for you. It is about what it best for them.

Mentor or sponsor? What is the difference and why do I need them?
Who do you turn to for advice in your professional career? This person is your mentor–someone who guides and advises you. If you don’t have a mentor then it is time to start looking for one, but wait! White warns not to scare this person away by coming straight out and asking them to be your mentor. Start by gradually treating them like a mentor. Ask for guidance when you need it and don’t be afraid to be yourself around this person because this is not a business relationship. When you find someone that you connect with and feel would be a good fit, start by taking interest in their recent projects and endeavors. Once you have connected with your potential mentor, be sure to follow-up with a question via email. Also, send your mentor any information that you believe will be beneficial to them. When your mentor gives you advice, be sure to let them know how the situation works out. White says, “So few people ever do that.”  While White recognizes the importance of having a mentor, she believes, “What you really need are sponsors–people who will open doors for you.” A sponsor is a person with whom you have a business relationship with that helps you make connections. Your sponsor has to believe in your work ethic and passion and it is important to never let your guard down with them. Treat your sponsor as you would any other business connection. Unlike a mentor, you should not turn to this person for advice about your career or personal life. For instance, White says that if you are thinking about making a career change, don’t let your sponsor know this because they will not be able to help you transition. Sponsors may come to you with opportunities and connections, but White says, “Don’t be afraid to ask them to open doors for you.” If you know that your sponsor has a connection in a place of interest, don’t wait for her to mention it. Ask her if she would mind introducing you to the company or if she would send an email recommending you for a position. Treat your sponsor as you would any other business connection.

How can I stand apart from the rest of the recent college graduates?
So many college students are graduating and applying for the same jobs. There are so many graduates and not as many jobs available. When it comes to standing apart from the rest, White recommends one thing that may not come as a surprise to you: internships. As a college student, you may feel that internships are given more credit than they should, but White says they are the one thing that can help to create a vision for your resume and show your future employer your value. I was able to get the answer to the most burning question when it comes to internships: Is an internship with a large corporation more impressive than with a small, local business? Kate White says the answer is, “No, I think an internship at a small, local business where you get to do more, is more impressive than with a large company where you don’t get to be as hands-on.” Phew! That helps to take the stress off of us when looking for an internship. Another up-side to having an internship at a smaller business is the more personal, business relationships you will be able to create! White also expressed the importance of unpaid internships. She says, if the job opening is between two people: one who has spent the time after graduation working to make a living versus another who has spent the time at an unpaid internship, the person who took experience over a paycheck will ultimately get the job. Now, how can you find an internship when you are still in school? Find on-campus clubs and organizations to be a part of or even better–create something! Make sure that whatever you decide to be the founder of, it is something fresh and unusual. What would you like to do for your university that hasn’t already been done? Do it! Finding an internship may be harder than it sounds, but with White’s tips you are sure to nail it! The most important question to ask yourself when applying to internships is, “How will this fit into my resume?” White finds having a vision on your resume is more important than it may seem. Have a vision of how you want to spend your career and gain experience in that field. For instance, if you are interested in writing articles, find an internship that lets you do that. Employers are not there to help you figure out which path you want to take, they are looking for what they need. Your mentor could help you choose a path, but once you have an idea White says to “Think about yourself as a sound byte. What would someone say about you that is cohesive?”

Go big or go home!
This is a motto that White asks herself on a daily basis. Going big does not mean doing so occasionally. For White, as an Editor-in-Chief it meant not doing this month’s magazine just like last month’s and that meant breaking some rules. When everyone is completing projects in exactly the way they are supposed to, you shouldn’t be afraid to take risks at work, present bold ideas, and to be proactive in coming up with solutions that no one else had the time to find. For instance, White says a great way to approach your boss in a situation like this is to say: “ Here’s an idea for the presentation based on the guidelines you gave me, but I wanted to show you a new way of doing it that could be very interesting to try.” White says, “When was the last time you worried about what the tweets would say about what you are doing?” So, before you turn in that assignment, finish that big project, or start a new one, be sure to ask yourself: Did I do this bigger and better than the last time? When you do decide to go big, White stresses that there will be people who wish you had gone home instead. Don’t let this bother you and the next time you find yourself wishing someone else had gone home, think about what you could have done to be in their position and learn something from their success.

Kate White offers more advice and tips in her career book: I Shouldn’t Be Telling You This: Success Secrets Every Gutsy Girl Should Know. She offers a unique perspective to starting out and maintaining your career. This career guide is truly a must-have for every collegiette and recent college graduate. You can follow Kate White on twitter at @katemwhite for more tips and tricks to getting ahead and read her blog at http://www.katewhite.com.

Photo Sources:

Kelsey Howard is a senior at the University of South Florida. She is majoring in mass communications with a concentration in magazine and a minor in American Sign Language. Kelsey is currently on the Editorial Team for Her Campus USF, is a blogger for Rent the Runway and a news writing intern for USF College of Arts and Sciences. She loves writing about fashion, beauty, relationships, careers, education, and much more. Kelsey aspires to move to New York City after graduation to pursue a career at a national, monthly magazine. Kelsey is currently on a mission to empower girls and women everywhere! Follow Kelsey on Twitter and Instagram at @KelseyKayHoward and read her personal blog at http://www.kelseykayhoward.com. View her resume and portfolio at www.kelseykayhoward.info.
Ashley is a Chapter Advisor and currently living in Brooklyn, New York.