Style

Five Easy and Affordable Tips for a Cozy Dorm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Transitioning from home to dorm can be really difficult. Even after move in, it might feel like the room is incomplete. Here are some quick tips to make the room nice and cozy.

Fairy Lights – To the Next Level!

Yes, you see fairy lights in every single dorm article, but let’s face it, we are all basic at heart. If you want to bring basic to beaming, then go for some unique fairy lights. Found anywhere from Target to Amazon, fairy lights are a great way to add some coziness to the room. Try some edison bulbs, rose gold lights, or even pumpkin lights to add a spooky touch!

Photo courtesy of Urban Outfitters

Make your Bed your Own

Dorm beds are not necessarily the nicest, so it is up to us to make them the Pinterest-worthy home. Feel free to move your bed if you can. Move it sideways to open up your space, place it in the middle to give more wall space, or anything that fits your style. Placement surprisingly makes a huge difference. Location, location, location! Raise your bed for more storage, add some throw pillows and chunky knit blankets, and you are all set. If you can keep clean, a white duvet really brightens a room.

Photo courtesy of Target

Wall Art

No holes in the wall are required. Grab some Command Hooks or tape and hang up whatever your heart desires! Use campus resources, like printers, to print some simple designs or posters for the wall. You can also check out your favorite Etsy shop. You can never have too many inspirational quotes to make you smile as you roll out of bed for that morning class.

Photo courtesy of Target

Plants

Dorms are stuffy. It is just a fact. Add some O2 by placing a few plants here and there. Succulents on the window and desk, some floor plants by the door,  or even add some flowers every now and then to give your room a cheery vibe.

Photo courtesy of Urban Outfitters

Wall Plugs

You would not believe the difference a wall plug can make for your room. One of the hardest things about transitioning to dorm life is the longing to light a candle in the evening, and even though a wall plug is flameless, it really adds a cozy touch. Being greeted by a fall scent, like pumpkin or s’mores, makes you feel a bit more at home.

Photo courtesy of Bath and Body Works

Raised in Nashville, Tennessee, Michala is currently studying Integrated Public Relations and Advertising at the University of South Florida. Michala is passionate about her faith, coffee shop hopping, and the world of beauty. To see more of Michala's work, check out https://instagram.com/stepstoglow and https://stepstoglow.com
Interests include but are not limited to: art, history, astrology, skin care, the french, politics (yikes), frank ocean, controversy and being extremely overdramatic.