FASHION FRIDAY: Haute Halloween: Fast, Fashionable Costumes on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Halloween season for collegiettes™ entails parties, socials, and events packed into the last week of October. As midterms come to an end, Halloween is the perfect time to get your ghoul–pardon me, cool–costumes out and have a blast before heading into fall semester’s crunch time.

With all of these fabulous parties to attend, ladies like us love to look polished and never a victim on Joan Rivers’ “Witch Stole My Look.” Repeating costumes can be a party foul if you either run into the same crowds or happen upon someone else in your costume. Talk about a spooky situation! Okay, no more Halloween puns… for now.

Being able to be unique at every Halloween event is a skill, but pulling from our closets to create a look is an oft overlooked option. Transforming into pop culture icons or an update on a classic can be pulled together in a flash just by adding a couple of new accessories! 

Information on individual items can be found on Polyvore

Not Your Average Bunny

While many animal costumes on Halloween usually more risque, put a chic spin on the bunny ensemble with a free flowing tank dress and lace ears a la Maison Michel (his cat ears, as seen on Rihanna, would be a fantastic option for a cat!). Chunky chain bracelets and collars make the look super glam, and minimalistic strappy sandals balance the look.

The New Persian Princess

The same dress can be used for a completely different costume–this time a modern take on a Princess Jasmine costume. A chain and crystal headpiece (which can be found in accessory stores) is the definition of regality, and pinning a bright chiffon scarf in the back creates a crown worthy of royalty. Finish the look with a dark smoky eye, gladiator sandals and hand chains.

Bianca Jagger

A fashion icon for the ages, Bianca Jagger lived in white suits (she even married Mick Jagger in one!). A white jumpsuit and blazer paired together mirrors her infamous style, finished with a black tied bow as seen here. A vintage woven clutch and big, curly hair completes this timeless look.

Lana Del Rey

A modern music icon, Lana Del Rey, undoubtedly started the flower headband trend. Create the look with a DIY made of light and medium blue flowers and pair with a white jumpsuit or maxi dress–now you’re halfway to becoming Lana in her “Born to Die” music video. Pair with a large ring with a light stone and red lipstick to complete the transformation and to channel the video, add an animal print clutch (or, carry around a stuffed tiger!).

Rihanna

This look is totally wearable in the daytime and night. The pharaoh-printed sweater paired with mesh and faux leggings screams of the Bajan beauty. Add a dark lipstick (Rihanna loves MAC’s Rebel and Ruby Woo) with matching nail polish, some major jewelry, edgy boots and write “Pour it Up” on your knuckles to truly become Rihanna for a night.

Joan Jett

Another pop culture icon is Joan Jett, lead singer/guitarist of The Runaways and later Joan Jett & the Blackhearts, and the definition of a powerful woman in music. Take some charge in replicating her look with a leather jacket or vest, and a band tee or tight tank to really amp up the sexy rocker vibe. Smudge out some black eyeliner, and you’re good to go!

Collegiettes™, what has been your favorite DIY costume for Halloween, or what has been your favorite character to dress up as? Share with us in the comments below!

Justine is a recent graduate of the University of South Florida. She received her B.A. in mass communcations in spring 2014. She was the 2013-2014 Campus Correspondent for Her Campus USF.She was also a News & Feature Writing Intern for College of Arts and Sciences and the Public Relations Campus Rep for Rent the Runway at USF. She is currently seeking agency experience and would love to someday work for a magazine, become a novelist, poet, editor, host of a Travel Channel show and much more.  She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, art, literature, pop culture and student life. She spends most days listening to Lana del Rey, calming her nerves with various types of cheese, being sassy and trying to figure out when she can take a nap.Check out her website and portfolio here.She'd love you forever, if you followed her on Twitter @tinafigs_.Contact Justine regarding business inquires only at justinefigueroa@hercampus.com.