FASHION FRIDAY: Fall Fashion Color Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Collegiettes™ love colors (check out yesterday’s Style Blog for an example)! So when the Pantone Fashion Color Report announces the fall season’s color trends, the ladies of Her Campus couldn’t be any more excited! This season the top ten colors just might surprise you! But have no fear, these ten colors combined create the perfect palette for any fall fashion fit. From glorious green to rich red, add this wide range of colors to your wardrobe.

Deep Lichen Green and Carafe

Deep lichen green reminds me of army green and camouflage, which are both on trend this year. Deep lichen green is a basic color that can balance out other colors or patterns in your outfit. This is a great color for boots, jackets or other essential pieces of clothing in your closet.

Carafe as well is another basic color for your wardrobe. Starbucks and mugs of steaming coffee come to mind with this color. Some may argue that this is just a boring brown color, but carafe is a warm color perfect for fall. It also works well with the ongoing camouflage trend.

Vivacious and Koi

Looking for a pop of color? None can compare to vivacious, a vibrant pink that will stand out among the other colors for fall. Pretty poppy flowers from the Wizard of Oz are what come to mind with this surprising color for the fall. Vivacious is also popular in cosmetics, just be sure to try out this bright lipstick before purchasing.

As for Koi, this optimistic orange will surely put a smile on your face. I think of colorful leaves falling from the trees and pumpkin carvings when I see this color. And, although orange is a regular fall color, Koi lets us know that it won’t go out of style for the season.

Samba and Turbulence

Samba is a rich red that will make a statement this season. Plus, there’s a myth out there that men can’t deny a woman in red, so keep that in mind when you’re trying to figure out what color to wear for date night. When I think of red, I think of roses and when I think of roses, I think of love! What’s not to love about the fall season? Warm sweaters (mostly lightweight in Florida), hot coco, and the holidays are just a few great parts of this season. Add red to your wardrobe and even get wild with a touch of cheetah print too!

In contrast to samba, turbulence is a trendy yet chill color. It is there to remind us that the world isn’t only black and white, but has some gray areas too. Turbulence is a simple yet stunning color that can be used as an alternative or enhancement to black clothing.

Mykonos Blue and Linden Green

Mykonos blue is bold compared to the sweet linden green. But both colors work for winter. Mykonos blue reminds me of the ocean and beach days. But overall, blue is just a cool and comfortable color that works for any season. Compared to other fall colors like hunter green or oxblood though, Mykonos blue is a big, bright, burst of color.

As for linden green, I think of vintage Volkswagen buses. This color is a flawless mix of green and yellow. It is one of the softer colors for the season that can be worn well with neutral colors like cream, gray, black or brown. Take a chance and gear up this season with the light and laid-back linden green.

Emerald and Acai

Emerald and Acai are both deep colors for the fall. When I think of emerald green, I think of earrings, but only because of celebrities like Beyoncé and Angelina Jolie. Beyoncé has a powerful voice, but her fashion choices stand out just as much. At President Obama’s inauguration she wore a beautiful beaded black dress with dangling emerald statement earrings. Angelina Jolie has also looked fabulous in emerald green earrings with a long black gown worn at the Oscars. Celebrities like both ladies inspire others to branch out and try new fashionable color trends.

At first thought, Acai made me think of grapes and plums, but after some research I learned of the Acai berry, a fruit native to the Amazon rainforest. The Acai berry has high nutritional value and can also be used to treat many diseases. Just like the berry, Acai the color is multifunctional in fashion. Like most colors, it can be used as the center that your outfit revolves around or as a small added touch to a simple look. Pair this pretty purple with neutral colors like the turbulence gray or coffee-colored carafe. Acai can even be used as an alternative to blue.

According to Pantone, these are the top ten fall colors for this season. But don’t let that stop you from adding other colors to your fall wardrobe. That’s the fun in fashion! You can experiment with different colors and styles until you find what is right for you. Leatrice Eiseman, executive director of the Pantone Color Institute ®, said it best, “The fall 2013 palette allows for that versatility and experimentation.”

So go have some fun this fall season with these new color trends! If you have any fashion ideas on how to incorporate these colors into your clothes, leave a comment below!

Photo Credits:

http://www.pantone.com/pages/fcr.aspx?pg=21058&ca=4

http://fairestsfavorites.blogspot.com/2013/09/pantone-fall-2013-color-trends.html

Jasmin Lankford is a junior at the University of South Florida majoring in mass communications with a minor in creative writing. She is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus USF. Jasmin is also the Communications committee chair of the College of Arts and Sciences Dean's Student Leadership Society and the Media Coordinator of The Poets at USF. She loves to write about literature, fashion, art, student life and pop culture. She aspires to publish a bestselling book, write and edit for a newspaper or magazine, travel the world, and more. Read her blog here!
Justine is a recent graduate of the University of South Florida. She received her B.A. in mass communcations in spring 2014. She was the 2013-2014 Campus Correspondent for Her Campus USF.She was also a News & Feature Writing Intern for College of Arts and Sciences and the Public Relations Campus Rep for Rent the Runway at USF. She is currently seeking agency experience and would love to someday work for a magazine, become a novelist, poet, editor, host of a Travel Channel show and much more.  She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, art, literature, pop culture and student life. She spends most days listening to Lana del Rey, calming her nerves with various types of cheese, being sassy and trying to figure out when she can take a nap.Check out her website and portfolio here.She'd love you forever, if you followed her on Twitter @tinafigs_.Contact Justine regarding business inquires only at justinefigueroa@hercampus.com.